good or bad deal on JBL speakers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My setup is 4 x ES80s , If you could go for E 90s(you really wouldn't need a subwoofer with the 90s-aamof I do not have a SW and my 80s only go down to 36 Hz..low enough for me -and the neighbors), do it!!!!
Highly recommended...
(I'm gonna have to get the center one one of these days)

El Capitan is correct, you don't need a sub. My main system has 4 Mission 775 towers, which go down to 38 Hz. Last year, I upgraded my sub from the Mission to a REL T-9. For a couple weeks, there was no sub. I could certainly hear (and feel) the difference. Full range speakers require a true sub, which will only do subsonicss/very low bass, rather than a sub which does the entire bass spectrum, ala a sub/sat system. Although these JBL's don't require a sub, if your pocketbook and listening space can tolerate it, adding a sub will complete the listening experience.

Mission 775:
3354-mission_775.jpg

im leaning towards those too... im not sure if i shoudl take 4 of them or maybe just two and for the back some RX2 and the centre (no sub for now)

im between those JBL 4 way speakers or

these:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/bronze-bx/bx6/

oooohhh, NIIIIIICE!!!!!
I would go for whatever Linda sez (she IS the PRO here).
Personally (and it's a personal pet peeve) I got the JBLs cause of the "titanium(whatever)" tweeters....tell you why; being a recording engineer and having worked in a few studios, I once bought a pair of Infinity speakers for the Montero that had titanium tweeters, and it was the FIRST time I had EVER heard so much detail...maybe it was because it was an Infinity speaker or the "titanium (whatever)"...I can tell you that the JBLs have a very sweet high end-not screeching or scathing...and hey, for the price, it's great ( I got mine for 200 EUR each back in 2008!)..
but again...whatever Linda sez!!!!

I'd buy MA BX5's front and back if you do mostly quad listening.. but if you listen to more modern 5.1 mixes you could save a few quid and even get away with just BX2's at the rear (they are very capable standmounters, go down to 45hz, more than enough for any 5.1 mix) and add the matching centre and sub.. and you'll be all setup.

the BX5's in particular are absolutely superb speakers for the money. I'd go so far as to say the best speaker in MA's cheaper ranges. they've been WHF mag award winners the last two years.

the only model from the MA BX range I'd avoid for surround music are the BX-FX (rear speakers) they are that nasty phase-switchable side/rear type which just don't work well/at all for MultiCh music.

the main difference going from JBL to MA will be detail-retrieval (those C-CAM tweeters are v.revealing and their ally mid & bass drivers are v.fast little air shifters.. the BRBX mids and upper mids are pretty flat so your other electronics will influence the sound as much as anything = bright source and the MA's will be bright, they're very faithful to the source..) oh and unforgiving of poor recordings! not that that will be a problem with lots of lovely Hi-Rez!

oh and you should find more controlled bass on the MA's than the JBL's.. though its got to be said those BX5's (and especially 6's..!) are still no low-end slackers, so don't put them near the wall or you'll be mr.boombastic..!! :eek:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/bronze-bx/bx5/

These are the stars of the show, more balanced than the BX6's imo.

My only caveat re: these speakers would be that you must be prepared for a bright sound with bright recordings or bright components in your system, these babies do not colour anything.. if that isn't your thing, or you find your system bright already, you should consider an alternative manufacturer.

oh and though the cabinets themselves are well made, the vinyl wrap isnt the best so get Walnut.. its the only one that doesn't look cheap.. the other finishes are horrible! maybe the rosmah is liveable with but the black and oak offerings just look so cheap and nasty, I can't see why MA can't improve upon it, especially when their Silvers and ranges up look so gorgeous!

oh and one more thing about the MA BX's, they're very easy to drive (90dB sensitivity, 8 ohms impedance) so you don't need loads of power etc...

oh and I wouldn't get fixated on the MA sub, its capable but you can always get an REL down the line (Linda can testify to the prowess of the REL's!)

alternatives to the Monitor Audio, if you don't care for a bright sound..

Dali Zensor 5's:
http://www.dali-us.com/en-US/Loudspeakers/ZENSOR.aspx

smoother treble with less accurate bass than the MA's but very enjoyable indeed.. I had a lengthy demo of these recently and they're a lot of fun for music and especially great with movies!

Acoustic Energy Neo 3's:
http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Default.aspx?pagename=Neo-3-loudspeaker

quite a bit cheaper than the MA's & Dali's.. but achieve pretty much the same thing, not the last word in treble & upper mid ext'n but solid mids in general and nice agile bass.. after extended periods of testing and tweaking these for an installation, they never once became fatiguing and just warmed and livened up everything I put through them.

..and there's these little beauties from Tannoy, now down to similar pricing to the MA BX5's & Zensor 5's and with Tannoy's trademark pinpoint DualConcentric imaging & accuracy..
http://www.whathifi.com/review/tannoy-revolution-dc6t

Last edited:
Back