Gordon Lightfoot RIP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP
He often sent a limo to my friends to attend his concerts, that's how nice this guy was.
I’m happy to learn of these acts of generosity. He was far less thoughtful in his domestic affairs, thus resulting in the most expensive divorce in Canadian history. Not that I would judge any celebrity by their marital history. Anyway, this in no way diminishes my love of his music or my sadness at his passing. To die of natural causes at 84? The man had a good run and packed an amazing amount of accomplishments into his trips around the sun.

Last edited:
If you haven't heard his song "The Circle is Small" I recommend it. Two versions; one from the 1960s is acoustic and minimalistic while the 1970s version has more instrumentation. Some folks prefer the earlier version and other folks groove on the later version.

Early version:

Later version:

Gord wasn't shy about re-recording songs for which he thought he had another idea, albeit if not a better idea.

Reprise/Rhino time to release those two outstanding Lightfoot QUADs on BD~A 4.0 in 192/24 resolution:

GORDON LIGHTFOOT -
Cold on the Shoulder. Reprise MS4-2206 (CD4), RSTQ-2206-QF
(DQR), L9M-2206 (Q8), REP 254 033 (CD4)[Germany]
Sundown. Reprise MS4-2177 (CD4), RSTQ-2177-QF (QR),
L9M-2177 (Q8), REP 244258 (CD4) [Germany]

Long revered as a great artist. This from Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings from 1968.

"Sistine masterpieces of pine and fir and backwoods."

My fave Guess Who deep track! Released on Q8 & Q SACD among other formats. Tells the story of Gord and his band up to that point. Priceless. Red Shea!

YOU NEED THOSE QUADS. I'll be the first to buy them the third or fourth time on BD.

This was less than a year ago in Akron, Ohio. Looking like a ghost from a wishing well. May he RIP

Attachments

• IMG_2871.jpeg
    IMG_2871.jpeg
    812.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2870.jpeg
    IMG_2870.jpeg
    758.8 KB · Views: 0
Not only am I sad all day from
the news whilst I’ve been listening to songs that were in my early childhood in the 70’s, but sad how Canada has lost another legend of Canadian music.

I saw Gorden Lightfoot about 15 years ago at the Calgary Folk Fest. He was so chill playing on a camping chair on a hot day in the park. The whole place was so chilled out, that’s Canada for ya, before dope legalization. Nothings changed. Lol.

Canadians identify Gorden as one of our hero’s, the second great Gord we’ve lost in recent years. Neil Young is still putting out albums with Crazy Horse, 3 in the last 3 years.

I hope we have Gorden Lightfoot Tribute Concert.

Gord wasn't shy about re-recording songs for which he thought he had another idea, albeit if not a better idea.
Of course, classical musicians do this all the time. Their interpretations of the classical repertoire can change tremendously when they take another look at the same works years or decades later. Consider Glenn Gould(another Canadian, as it turns out), for one.

Just woke up to this news! Heartbreak.

You may recall me discussing my fave/most listened to Quad: Sundown CD-4. First album of his I bought was Sundown CD-4. Rebought it on MoFi 1/2 speed LP (best 2ch analog) and CD. In my 10 fave albums on any format.
As I've mentioned in another thread...
What Song Was Your First Experience With Quadraphonic/MC?

...Gordon was my FIRST quadraphonic experience. In his honor, I encourage all of you to listen to "Seven Island Suite" from the Sundown quad album and relish in the Casio-like keyboard sequencer sounds tickling your ears from the back channels. It's a subtle mix, but damn, my first, and one that hooked me on quad and multichannel ever since.

Sad to hear he is now gone.

Back