Have Rock & Pop SHM-SACD new releases, now bit the dust too ! ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie4

900 Club - QQ All-Star
I noticed that the Queen Greatest Hits releases, due 26th Dec, now state " release cancelled ". It looks as if this format has died of death too ? Will any new(ish) format ever stay the course....and if so, can we only ever expect classical releases to survive ?

Considering these things were Japan-only already, I'm not quite sure how much life they had in the first place. This is the stuff of niche audiophiles.

Considering these things were Japan-only already, I'm not quite sure how much life they had in the first place. This is the stuff of niche audiophiles.

These days, selling music on any disc format is becoming a niche format as well..... !

.....sadly, it's the same old story ! Overpricing doesn't encourage new buyers to the niche market.....

Cancelled where? hmv.co.jp still shows it as coming soon, and I just ordered it from wherehouse.com a few days ago for a really good price.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...p-SHM-SACD-new-releases-now-bit-the-dust-too-!

https://www.wherehouse.com/music/product-detail.jsp?id=3066841

I noticed on cdjapan today...on Queen's product page...but strangely it's highlighted on their music homepage for future release...

....just checked again & the home page also says release cancelled

hmv.co.jp now shows Queen Greatest Hits as "discontinued", so that pretty much confirms it. I guess I need to buy Queen Jazz now instead. I wonder if they are going to let the previously released titles sell out now and not make more.

hmv.co.jp now shows Queen Greatest Hits as "discontinued", so that pretty much confirms it. I guess I need to buy Queen Jazz now instead. I wonder if they are going to let the previously released titles sell out now and not make more.

....it very much looks like it ! I really wanted the Queen's Greatest Hits. There's been an offer of more frequent shopper points on selected SHM-SACD, for awhile now. I'm thinking of buying Dire Straits, after Christmas.

Unlike the US, the norm in Japan has been that they do a pressing, then it immediately goes out of print. This dates back to LP's. It is the reason that there are so many different OBI strips and numbers for Japanese titles.

As sales dwindle and in the case of so many titles that sold marginally, the US has moved a bit in that same direction.

Back