HBO Go 5.1 connection issue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPR

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Need some help here; just purchased a new Sony XBR-55X800G; LOVE IT!
Anyway, TV is connected to my Denon S-301, which does NOT have HDMI inputs; the Denon is 3.1 FAUX surround; Subwoofer, & 2 Speakers
Subsequently, I've hooked up a Toslink Digital Audio out, from the Sony to the Denon
All the Optimum cable channels, broadcast in 5.1, as well as Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
The HBO Go, & Showtime, Starz Apps, do NOT; just 2 CH Stereo
Is it my old Denon, or do these Apps broadcast in 2 Channel?
BTW: The DVR is connected by HDMI, as well as the Oppo Blu-Ray to the Sony TV.
Thoughts?

hmm good question on HBO go and 5.1. I sit on my pc every nite and watch it. But check the settings on your tv and avr. DD is lossy so you have digital in on the avr so, and check with the provider ( cable, sat. provider) is HBO go is 5.1. You got me curious now.

Some TV Apps on TVs only output in stereo, it's idiosyncratic.

The unit has a built in Chromecast, I wonder if you'd get 5.1 casting HBO Go from a PC or smartphone to the Chromecast app?

Kind of moronic for the App to be in 2 Channel, & the cable station is in 5.1
it's interesting to note, that the reception picture quality, on the app, is slightly better
Now that i know some apps output in stereo, so be it
I tried contacting HBO Go; God forbid, they'd have a phone# to speak with a human
The person who answered my email, was clueless

Kind of moronic for the App to be in 2 Channel, & the cable station is in 5.1
it's interesting to note, that the reception picture quality, on the app, is slightly better
Now that i know some apps output in stereo, so be it
I tried contacting HBO Go; God forbid, they'd have a phone# to speak with a human
The person who answered my email, was clueless
I don't think contacting them is going to be availing - I suspect development is subcontracted and the TV maker actually has more to do with it than the service provider. Different apps have different settings, and I suspect many apps are being developed more in line with HDMI return channel than S/PDIF anyway these days (which supports DD+).

Is the TV set to output plain Dolby Digital over optical instead of DD+? Might be part of the issue.

UPDATE: Tried numerous Apps; i.e. Starz, HBO, Showtime, Amazon Prime, & Netflix
Viewed numerous programs on each
HBO, & Showtime, do NOT broadcast in 5.1; only 2 channel stereo; App ONLY; Optimum cable YES!
Starz, Amazon Prime, & Netflix, all DO!
Strange, that the more popular Apps, have the worst sound technology.
Even tried HBO, & Showtime streaming to my TV, from my IPhone; same result

Back