Headphone Surround Systems - How Well Do They Work?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
IIRC, several receivers have built in systems that (attempt) to create some form of surround sound with regular stereo headphones.

My older Pioneer D514 receiver has a headphone surround system (I can test it now w/DS 4.0,DD,DTS 5.1 sources).

The Pearl Harbor movie DVD has a Dolby Headphone (encoded) stereo soundtrack.

(I have Sony MDR-ZX110 headphones, I haven't tried them yet w/headphone surround systems, I rarely use headphones for listening now)

Anyone have any reports about how well or poorly headphone surround systems (in receivers and maybe special soundtracks) work for conveying a sense of surround sound with regular stereo headphones?

Kirk Bayne

Tried the S&V test DVD w/D514 phones surround - didn't notice any surround effect from the DD and DTS 5.1 noise test signals (no change from stereo, I thought there would be at least some identifiable effect).

Kirk Bayne

I've been impressed with the Sony 360 Reality headphone tracks streaming on Amazon Music.
A three-month trial subscription is available free.
I can't imagine why anyone would not want to give it a try.
It requires no hardware but any kind of smartphone or computer that can stream stereo.

My demo track is Santana Black Magic Woman.
If a person can't hear the 360 pans of swirling guitar, don't bother with the rest.

My main headphones for home are $100 Sony MDR-7506.
On the bicycle trails or in the car I use Westone W40 in-ear monitors and an older iPhone, wired or bluetooth.

Back