Headphones -> buffer? Stupid or edgy?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConfusedCroat

Hey everyone. Happily been with my realistic for a couple weeks now and love it. Been a little busy to mount the B speakers, so now quatravox yet, but soon. Can’t wait.

But I’m here for a different reason that so far I have found a huge range of answers too. In general I appreciate your guys opinions so maybe there are some interesting hot takes about my signal path idea.

I would really prefer to keep the active speakers in play as the A speakers. I don’t absolutely have to, and I have plenty of passives in the attic, but what can I say, I love these guys. At the same time the B pair are passives.

So far I have just tape out’d to a buffer that I also think is fun to use and then to the actives. But I would really love to use these sweet tone controls on the realistic.

I know if I go out of the 6.35 headphone jack on the front, and plug that into my tube buffer that the tone controls would be back in play. But I’m also aware that the output on the headphone jacks are not exactly line level (though close).

Some people have told me this is a huge no-no and it’s guaranteed to backfire.

Some people have told me that it’s totally okay as long as I’m SUPER CAREFUL and completely in the drivers seat re: the volume and tone knobs on the realistic and I keep them all relatively low, try not to go past 12 o clock, and adjust them very carefully and it should be fine.

And I still don’t really know what the right answer here is. I mean people have done this. People still do it. So I can’t be a completely reckless thing to do. But at the same time, I am cautious about sending a signal that -despite being very close to line level- is not exactly line level, and does current some (despite being very little) wattage.

I don’t mind living on the edge and being careful with adjusting the sound. I do mind doing something bound to fail though.

And thoughts at all, or opinions, or anything at all you know maybe hearing stories of people who have done this in the past would really help me make a decision here. Just would love your two cents at all. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 375BA616-C3C3-4EC5-8FA4-A4840FD810D4.jpeg
    375BA616-C3C3-4EC5-8FA4-A4840FD810D4.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
Back