Help Decoding My Quad LPs, Including CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timalin

Over some time I've picked up quad LPs in various formats on the basis that I'd probably get round to buying the necessary equipment or working out how to decode stuff in the digital domain. That hasn't happened and is unlikely to now.

I know that some people here have transferred LPs themselves and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing it on my behalf. I've got a number of titles that don't seem to have been transferred by anyone yet, although that may be because most of them are CD-4s.

CD-4 discs can be decoded with a CD-4 demodulator and encoded in DTS using a home DTS encoder, then it can be burned to CD. This can be done in real time, all at once. From there, you can do with it whatever you do with any data file.
The Quadfather

My answer was predicated on the implication that he wanted the signals from a CD-4 record directly transferred to digital similar to transferring matrix records but yes, of course, you can decode the signals with a CD-4 demodulator, first, and then go from there.

Doug

Sorry, I probably wasn't being clear enough. I don't have a suitable cartridge and demodulator and it isn't worth the expense to get them given that I've only got a couple of dozen CD-4 LPs. Really, I was wondering if there was anyone who does have a decent set up who is interested in digitizing them, as I'd love to listen to them at some point. I'm based in London.

Sorry, I probably wasn't being clear enough. I don't have a suitable cartridge and demodulator and it isn't worth the expense to get them given that I've only got a couple of dozen CD-4 LPs. Really, I was wondering if there was anyone who does have a decent set up who is interested in digitizing them, as I'd love to listen to them at some point. I'm based in London.

The titles that most would find interesting are the ones that were never released on quad reel to reel format. Then out of the remaining titles you have on CD-4 LPs, they need to be in rather nice near mint condition, rarely played if at all.

So that might bring down the potential titles to transfer to just a few. Out of those few, they might have already been done by one of the experts we have seen around the forums here, and out among the torrent sites out there in the world.

I like to do transfers of quad LPs in their stereo state of playback at high res 24/96. Makes for interesting listening in stereo.

The titles that most would find interesting are the ones that were never released on quad reel to reel format. Then out of the remaining titles you have on CD-4 LPs, they need to be in rather nice near mint condition, rarely played if at all.

So that might bring down the potential titles to transfer to just a few. Out of those few, they might have already been done by one of the experts we have seen around the forums here, and out among the torrent sites out there in the world.

I like to do transfers of quad LPs in their stereo state of playback at high res 24/96. Makes for interesting listening in stereo.

Thanks. I've got a list but can't remember which LP is in which format. I'll need to check later. The only one I know of for sure is this fantastic album:

Deaf School - 2nd Honeymoon

I'm pretty sure this one is also CD-4. It's had a Q8 release, but I presume CD-4 could yield better results, and I don't think it's had any form of digital distribution:

Carly Simon - Playing Possum

As far as I can tell it never got a Q4 release and I've never seen a decode floating about the internet. I need to have a proper look and see which are CD-4, whether they've had an unofficial release and what sort of condition they are in (mostly they looked unplayed). Then I'll get in touch with some of the experts to see if there is any interest.

Presumably if I can get a quality HD rip of any of the SQ/QS titles, theoretically someone could decode the files rather than me sending vinyl in the post.

Last edited:
Back