Help needed please: Atmos Playback with Sony str-dn1080 AMP. (Problem Solved)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscot

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I fitted two speakers today for Dolby Atmos, that is the good news, the bad news is after calibrating and testing everything is okay i’m not getting Atmos, nothing coming out of the top speakers and the avr is showing dolby true HD.
My avr is a Sony str-dn1080, my old avr was an str-dh790 which never had problems playing atmos.
Like I said I ran the auto calibration, everything okay, if I do a speaker test sound comes out of all 7 speakers.
Please can someone help me?

I have two blu ray players set to bitstream, they both played atmos fine before I upgraded to the new (better) avr, the problem is something within the settings of the avr

I have the same Sony receiver. No problem playing Atmos discs. I don’t stream any kind of Atmos.
Are you playing an Atmos disc or are you trying to stream Atmos content?
Are your speakers connected to the correct terminals?
I know basic stuff, but you didn’t give us a lot of info about your set up or what you are trying to play.

I fitted two speakers today for Dolby Atmos, that is the good news, the bad news is after calibrating and testing everything is okay i’m not getting Atmos, nothing coming out of the top speakers and the avr is showing dolby true HD.
My avr is a Sony str-dn1080, my old avr was an str-dh790 which never had problems playing atmos.
Like I said I ran the auto calibration, everything okay, if I do a speaker test sound comes out of all 7 speakers.
Please can someone help me?
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/av-receivers/str-dn1080
There maybe something on this site to help you

Its not an hdmi handshake issue is it?

I have the same Sony receiver. No problem playing Atmos discs. I don’t stream any kind of Atmos.
Are you playing an Atmos disc or are you trying to stream Atmos content?
Are your speakers connected to the correct terminals?
I know basic stuff, but you didn’t give us a lot of info about your set up or what you are trying to play.
I am playing atmos discs, yes the speakers are connected to the correct terminals, i have ran calibration and all 7 speakers work, i dont have any other info to give, something within the avr settings are stopping atmos working, i use direct mode to play everything as it comes off the disc.
When i go to speaker set up i have chosen 5.1.2 (TM) but then nothing comes out of the top middles when i play a disc

I can't get my Yamaha S-681 player to play Atmos. Sony X800 II player sends the Atmos stream to my Yamaha Aventage. The Sony reads Dolby TrueHD on screen.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...d-coming-in-october.32514/page-45#post-731123o_O Yamaha Aventage A2A would not read Atmos on front panel, read Dolby TrueHD, turned amp off, back on it reads Atmos/DTHD (usually says just Atmos). Sony player reads Dolby TrueHD 7.1. What am I listening to. YIKES!

Problem solved, seems I had to choose A.F.D as the soundfield instead of Direct. Thanks for all the pointers guys 👍
image.jpg

Last edited:
Problem solved, seems I had to choose A.F.D as the soundfield instead of Direct. Thanks for all the pointers guys 👍
Good
For the most part, any Blu-ray player that supports Dolby TrueHD and bitstreamed output should support Dolby Atmos. Dolby is wrapping up the Atmos "objects" (the height information) into a Dolby TrueHD wrapper that works with existing players and receivers.Jul 21, 2015

Glad you figured it out. I know that although I have the "upmix" stuff turned off on my AVR, sometimes it reverts to something other than Direct and has got me into the habit of picking up my remote to check, if something does not sound right.

Unfortunately on my AVR display the letters and indicators are so damned small I just about have to stick my face right up to the display to make out the codec being played. Don't understand why they do this stuff.

Back