Help needed with JVC 4VR5456

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all
Was needing some help with a JVC 4VR5456 Receiver I bought recently …It was bought on Ebay (lottery obviously) but seemed in pretty cool condition and was a good price . Im aware its around 50 years old so I Havent been expecting great things. I tried it out in place of an old Realistic QTA753 I have had for a long while which kick started this whole fascination with quadraphonic. The amp needed some pot cleaning as it was pretty scratchy and it went to a local vintage audio dealers servicing department. It came back with cleaned pots so all good there but still with noisy outputs (ie hiss …like a constant rainfall) It has come back twice now with really noisy outputs especially in the rear speakers. Does anyone have any experience with these amps. Im not sure i should send it a third time to the same person…are there any technicians (particularly in London UK) that could possibly sort this.
I beginning to think my quadraphonic life must be inherently noisy which is a great pity. The QS decoding facility on this amp is sublime and the amp itself is pretty powerful and makes a joyous sound. The amp is so useful as it has so many 4 channel inputs which is something you don’t find on modern equipment.It also has CD-4 decoding which I haven’t tested properly yet as Im test driving the amp itself first. (Yes I do have a Shibata cartridge on my turntable before anyone asks ) Im using either a pair of 8ohm Epos M16i speakers or a pair of Ditton 44s …rears are Gallo Acoustic micros which work amazingly well
I guess the inherent problem with this hobby is hoping the equipment stays in tip top condition.
If anyone has any genuine experience with this lovely JVC or has any further knowledge of restoration experts I would be grateful for your knowledge.

Attachments

• IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
Back