help with a digital media server

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I am thinking about getting some kind of digital music server. I have a lot of surround transfers that I received as ISO files and have burned to DVD-R and play through my Oppo BDP-83. Its OK, but the burning process and the long term unreliability of recordable disks makes me want to look into the server route. The problem is the technology is new to me and i'm not sure what I need or even if there is something even commercially available to fit the need.

Id like...

Something like a low profile PC box that will fit into my component system. Can I feed the output into a port on the Oppo? Is there some way to incorporate a browser of some type and a remote control for browsing the albums. Im sure a hard drive is required but does the PC need a full motherboard? A sound card? What will I need to convert the ISO files (either SACD or DVD-A based) into some kind of playable format?

Can someone outline this stuff for me?

I am thinking about getting some kind of digital music server. I have a lot of surround transfers that I received as ISO files and have burned to DVD-R and play through my Oppo BDP-83........................................................
Id like...

Something like a low profile PC box that will fit into my component system.
Any quiet and/or fanless PC will do.

Can I feed the output into a port on the Oppo?
I have no experience with using a BDP-83 for this so I do not know if this is possible.

Is there some way to incorporate a browser of some type and a remote control for browsing the albums.
I recommend jRiver. It works fine with ISOs and jRemote will handle control.

Im sure a hard drive is required but does the PC need a full motherboard? A sound card?
It depends on what you are connecting it to. I prefer to keep my files on a NAS.

What will I need to convert the ISO files (either SACD or DVD-A based) into some kind of playable format?
jRiver will do that.

Back