Help with my system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8Repair

Okay... right now... let's just forget about the amps, because once I finish my cabinet, it'll all change anyway.

Here's the basics: I have a technics DD/DTS decoder, model number SH-AC500. In setup, you can click that your 'surrounds' are either large or small... if you click small, it redirects some of the lower frequencies to the subwoofer, if it's present. However, I think, but I'm not positive, that when I click 'yes' to subwoofer, it REMOVES some of the bass from my surrounds. So now I have a dilemma. Surrounds with weak bass + subwoofer, or full range surroudns and no subwoofer.

The problem is I also bought a set of bass shakers, which operate off the subwoofer channel. So... if I click no, I can't use them. Anybody have any tips, knowledge, or advice? Should I hook the shakers up as a normal speaker, instead of a subwoofer? But then in DTS they won't get hte ultra low frequencies... argh... I'm confused.

I don't know, but here is what I suspect is happening:
When you select small for your surrounds, it sends bass that is tracked for the surrounds to the sub channel. When you turn the sub channel off it sends sound that is tracked for the subwoofer to all the other speakers. Best setup is to have full range large speakers for all five channels and also have a subwoofer. As far as the bass shaker, you're on your own. I would suspect that it would work best on the sub channel, but since not all material has sub channel information, you might want to put it on a switch so you can switch between the sub channel and the front channels When on the bass channel, the inputs of the bass shakers would be connected together so that both shakers get the same signal. This can easily be accomplished with a double throw double pole switch or if the switching is done at speaker level, a four pole double throw switch. Good luck.

The Quadfather

Here's the basics: I have a technics DD/DTS decoder, model number SH-AC500. In setup, you can click that your 'surrounds' are either large or small... if you click small, it redirects some of the lower frequencies to the subwoofer, if it's present. However, I think, but I'm not positive, that when I click 'yes' to subwoofer, it REMOVES some of the bass from my surrounds.
I doubt the latter statement. If you choose large and NO, you may hear more bass/LFE from all speakers but, if you choose large and YES, only the LFE goes to the sub.

Kal

Huh... I wonder why the speakers sound so incredibly weak in surround mode, and great in stereo mode... hrm... they have a TON more bass in stereo mode.

Also: if the distance settings are not correct, this can also cause an out-of-phase condition resulting is less bass at the listening position.

The decoder doesn't have any distance settings, it just has 'delay' adjustment, which I'm guessing is the same thing.

It is the same thing but, assuming setup is correct by the manual, you need to be careful with positioning of speakers/listeners with respect to room boundaries as the modes will force summation/cancellation of various frequencies.

Kal

Back