New user

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trondis23

Hi!

I am a new user from Norway. I have been using surround for about 15 years. I am not an audiophile and on a budget, but I love the experience of surround.

When I upgraded to surround I bought a Denon receiver and a Yamaha combined SACD/DVD-A player, both secondhand, plus new (Dali) center and surround speakers. I already had decent, big front speakers (also Dali). My setup is 5.0, so no subwoofer. I am not sure if I need one since my front speakers have big bass elements. I am not sure if I want a sub either. My son has subwoofers in his room and in his car, and I think it sounds horrible. It is also very annoying for the rest of the family and people passing by his room or car. I added a Blu-ray player when some albums were sold only on Blu-ray. I have ripped all of my CD's, most of the LPs, and all my surround albums, except the unrippable SACDs. The files are on a small harddisk connected to my router. I play back the stereo albums from a microcomputer (Raspberry Pi) with Minimserver and an Openhome player controlled by BubbleUPnP, and the surround albums from another microcomputer (currently Pine 64) with Kodi.

I recently upgraded to an Atmos setup. I bought a secondhand receiver, and a Chromecast with Google TV, plus I upgraded my Tidal subscription. I already had a couple of extra speakers (Kef). The receiver has either 5.2.2 or 7.2 possibilities. I chose a 5.0.2 setup. It sounds fantastic. However, it is completely useless for streaming gapless music. The gaps are very long. I tested with The Beatles' Abbey Road and Stravinsky's Petrouchka suite. Horrible! So that was a big disappointment. I thought I could download the stream and remove the gaps in an audio editor. But when I imported the tracks into Adobe Audition or Audacity, the Atmos info disappeared. I don't know of any other audio editor that can preserve the Atmos info. Perhaps Protools can do it, but only on one of the more expensive versions. If anyone has a tip for a preferably free or inexpensive software solution, I would be grateful. I don't know if the gaps are hardware-dependent, but I don't think that I will flesh out for a more expensive hardware right now.

Favourite surround albums in my collection: Frank Zappa: "Quaudiophiliac". King Crimson: "Lizard". The Beatles: "Love" and "The Beatles". New discoveries of Atmos albums on Tidal: Eric Dolphy: "Out to Lunch". Larry Young: "Unity". The Beach Boys: "Pet Sounds". The latter, in a new Atmos mix by Giles Martin, sounds fantastic, even better than the Beatles mixes.

You can rip SACDs there is information to be found on this site.

Gapless playback can be a problem. I'm frustrated that I can't stream from my computer's hard drive to my Oppo without the gaps! IMHO gapless playback should be designed into everything right from the start!

Latest posts

Back