Here it is: the JCQS-440 A.F.V. also known as the Wurlyscope.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hide all mirrors and make sure you wear a protective visor... 😎

I saw BOC back in 1978 and they were actually bouncing a laser from a big mirror ball into the crowd. Of course it didn’t take long until the Feds put a stop to it. That show was incredible......almost as mind-blowing as the Wurlyscope 🙂.

hi all, there will be yet another 2 weeks delay...

Because of china's spring break my first pcbs won't be finished etching until feb 9th.
In the mean time, i'm still working on improving the design of the other components.

Hi all!

I have been working very hard during the last couple of weeks in the design of the new cabinets.
In a couple of weeks i should be able to show you a surprise. :p but don't tell ! 🤫 🙃

The process of making my first pcbs has resumed in China. That too i can't wait to have them.
Testing and tuning those modules will give me the "Go-Ahead" i need to have the remaining pcbs made.
As for the electronic parts, i have almost everything in stock now except for the 10000 leds! 🤩
Things look bright for the mk-II :cool:

Hi all!
I have ordered the first batch of screen pcbs for the mk-II.
i should receive within 1 month. I'm looking forward to test this new matrix.
I am now at version 4.0
I haven't received the amplifier and comparator modules yet so testing of those is still to come.

Attachments

• Screen V4.0 back perspective.png
    Screen V4.0 back perspective.png
    967.1 KB · Views: 56
I have been experimenting with part's 3D models to make this good approximation of what the V2.0 input board will look like.
Note: the dip switches are for input gain presets. I couldn't find a model of the upright type i use.

Attachments

• Input board V2.0 perspective.png
    Input board V2.0 perspective.png
    426.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Input board V2.0 perspective2.png
    Input board V2.0 perspective2.png
    275.4 KB · Views: 43
OK now few weeks ago i promised you a little surprise...
As you may imagine it's la long, costly and tedious process to design and create something entirely new from scratch.
Today i received a long awaited package containing today's surprise.
Some of you will be happy to lean i ditched the "all plexiglass" front and back panel, keeping only the screen area.
The newly designed panels are now made of black brushed aluminium with light grey engraved letterings and graphics.

Ahoy here it is!

Attachments

• Jean CAuvier440mk-II front plate.JPG
    Jean CAuvier440mk-II front plate.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Jean CAuvier440mk-II frontPlate.jpg
    Jean CAuvier440mk-II frontPlate.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 58
OK now few weeks ago i promised you a little surprise...
As you may imagine it's la long, costly and tedious process to design and create something entirely new from scratch.
Today i received a long awaited package containing today's surprise.
Some of you will be happy to lean i ditched the "all plexiglass" front and back panel, keeping only the screen area.
The newly designed panels are now made of black brushed aluminium with light grey engraved letterings and graphics.

Ahoy here it is!
I have been following this thread about Wurlyscope MK II gestation period with great interest. And I can assure you, I will definitely not be buying the new design.

Why? Because I've got the original Wurlyscope & I love it! It's on almost every time I listen to music or watch a movie. It works great & even the power switch pop seems to have gone away.

For those that are not blessed with the MK I version I strongly encourage you to consider buying the new unit. Every change I've read about, including the faceplate redesign, is a step in the right direction. You do need analog line level outputs for it to work and with some AVR's you can't do that. If your system is compatible with the Wurlyscope get the new one. It's accurate enough I can even see it valauable for trouble shooting, or adjusting CD-4 using visual clues instead of just audio.

I have been following this thread about Wurlyscope MK II gestation period with great interest. And I can assure you, I will definitely not be buying the new design.

Why? Because I've got the original Wurlyscope & I love it! It's on almost every time I listen to music or watch a movie. It works great & even the power switch pop seems to have gone away.

For those that are not blessed with the MK I version I strongly encourage you to consider buying the new unit. Every change I've read about, including the faceplate redesign, is a step in the right direction. You do need analog line level outputs for it to work and with some AVR's you can't do that. If your system is compatible with the Wurlyscope get the new one. It's accurate enough I can even see it valauable for trouble shooting, or adjusting CD-4 using visual clues instead of just audio.
Thank you for your support!
Indeed the original mk-I "Wurlyscope" (which you own one out of the ten existing units), will never be made again and thus have become collectible items. :cool:

You do need analog line level outputs for it to work and with some AVR's you can't do that. If your system is compatible with the Wurlyscope get the new one. It's accurate enough I can even see it valauable for trouble shooting, or adjusting CD-4 using visual clues instead of just audio.
I have a low-budget solution to get decoded 5.1 line level output from optical, coax and hdmi.
1- For about 25$ this small 5v 5.1 digital decoder will provide the rca analog outputs. (pict 1,2,3)
2- You need to feed it some digital audio thru coax or optical inputs. This 8$ HDMI audio extractor will do the trick. (pict 4)
3- To complete the installation, you will also need this 20$ HDMI splitter, availlable in 4K to feed the audio and video to your X.1 amplifier and to the audio extractor for the mk-I/II. (pict 5)

Attachments

• 5-1-channel-Digital-to-Analog-Stereo-AC3-Audio-Converter-Optical-SPDIF-Coaxial-AUX-to-6.jpg_Q9...jpg
    5-1-channel-Digital-to-Analog-Stereo-AC3-Audio-Converter-Optical-SPDIF-Coaxial-AUX-to-6.jpg_Q9...jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 5-1-channel-Digital-to-Analog-Stereo-AC3-Audio-Converter-Optical-SPDIF-Coaxial-AUX-to-6.jpg_Q9...jpg
    5-1-channel-Digital-to-Analog-Stereo-AC3-Audio-Converter-Optical-SPDIF-Coaxial-AUX-to-6.jpg_Q9...jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 44
    67.7 KB · Views: 40
  • AY78-HDMI-compatible-Audio-Extractor-4K-X-2K-HDMItoHDMI-Optical-TOSLINK-SPDIF-3-5mm-Stereo-Ext...jpg
    AY78-HDMI-compatible-Audio-Extractor-4K-X-2K-HDMItoHDMI-Optical-TOSLINK-SPDIF-3-5mm-Stereo-Ext...jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 36
  • HTB1PBrEodrJ8KJjSspaq6xuKpXaD.jpg
    HTB1PBrEodrJ8KJjSspaq6xuKpXaD.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 36
Looks as though the Mk.II has some new display modes Jean, what are these I wonder?....

View attachment 76580
These are experimental but i believe they will have their utility. A more precise explanation will be provided in the manual.
but quickly:
Inwd stands for Inward direction. As you know the mk-I display the signal from the center out (Outward) which seems strange because the sound does not come from the listener but from the speakers. This button will revese the display so that the sound will come from the outer circle toward to the center of the screen.
Full-W stands for Full-Wave display. In order to display the music level intensity, the signal must be rectified and then filtered to obtain a readable level display.
But this show a distorted signal which is usually not important because we only need the level, not the detail of the wave pattern.
This Full-W function will eliminate that distortion and display the entire wave patterns. How? I talked about Inward and Outward direction earlier. With the Full-W function, the signal will originate not from the center, not from the outer circle but from a mid-point. This means the negative portion of the signal wave will be displayed toward the center of the screen and the positive portion toward the exterior of the screen.
These functions were not possible with the LM3915 because the voltage references for the package comparators are fixed. They need to be different depending on one or the other selected mode. That is why i created specially designed comparator modules.
Matrix is a solution to mix the 5,6,7 & 8 inputs into the 1,2,3 & 4 channels. For example, ch 5 is the Center Front (CF). In matrix mode, the CF signal will be fed equally to the 1 (FL) and 2 (FR) chanels.

As you may have noticed, there are few other unexplained modes available but for the moment i will only explain these.

The Mk III marking???
Yes!👌🎆🎆🎆

I'm making the mk-III alongside the mk-II. The mk-III will have almost all the same display modes and options as the mk-II except ch 5,6,7 & 8 are always in "Matrix" mode. This model will use about half the electronic components necessary for the mk-II, not counting the leds of course. It will have only one main 2-layers pcb instead of one main 4-layers and one control 2-layers pcb which is a lot more expensive.
Both models uses the same amplifier and comparator modules.

Ahoy! here is mk-III ! :SB

note: ⏪ Matrix modes is explained in an earlier post i did today.

Attachments

• Jean CAuvier440mk-III front-BackPlate.JPG
    Jean CAuvier440mk-III front-BackPlate.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Jean CAuvier440mk-II front plate.JPG
    Jean CAuvier440mk-II front plate.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Jean CAuvier440mk-III front plate.JPG
    Jean CAuvier440mk-III front plate.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Yes!👌🎆🎆🎆

I'm making the mk-III alongside the mk-II. The mk-III will have almost all the same display modes and options as the mk-II except ch 5,6,7 & 8 are always in "Matrix" mode. This model will use about half the electronic components necessary for the mk-II, not counting the leds of course and the main pcb will have 2 layers instead of 4 which is a lot more expensive.

Ahoy! here is mk-III ! :SB

note: ⏪ Matrix modes is explained in an earlier post i did today.

Very clever. I think I'll be in the MkIII camp ( I only have 4 channels anyway!)
Incidentally will there be choices of LED colours as before?

Back