"Hiccupping" MOTU 828 mkII

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Today I tried playing some normal stereo stuff thru my MOTU 828 mkII interface (thru iTunes and VLC) and it's "hiccupping" all over the place...it plays back fine thru the computer speakers...

Anybody know if the evil bastards at Apple have done something?

I keep getting the "downnload the latest "Adobe Flash" update , but I haven't, but I don't think it has to do with AUDIO playback, cause then , it wouldn't play correctly thru the iMac speakers.

I have NOT , however updated my iTunes for a couple of years..(what for? , none of the "features" really affect any of the functions I use--the only thing that it now does when I open it is that it keeps asking me for the "password" to iTunes, which I ignore and press the "Escape" key and go on with my business)

Anyway, maybe the MOTU is in its last throes since I have to send it to have the Mic Inputs changed (it has been crackling for YEARS now, at least input 1), but, I'm right now in between jobs....

Tough tittie , huh?

My 828 had power supply problems when I got it used a few years ago, caused many different random things.

have you updated your Mac OS since the last time you used your Motu?

I now have a totally useless M-Audio interface since "upgrading" to El kap'nkrunchatain.. and the Motu sometimes splutters its way through (mostly on playback but also ruining entire recordings!) until/unless I shut everything else off other than Audacity (and I had my Mac pimped out at the factory with 16GB of RAM so it can't be due to that..) the more I use computers (which isn't very much compared to some of you folks here) the more I come to hate them! :D

I now have a totally useless M-Audio interface since "upgrading" to El kap'nkrunchatain.. and the Motu sometimes splutters its way through (mostly on playback but also ruining entire recordings!) until/unless I shut everything else off other than Audacity (and I had my Mac pimped out at the factory with 16GB of RAM so it can't be due to that..) the more I use computers (which isn't very much compared to some of you folks here) the more I come to hate them! :D

Not to rub it in, but that is why I prefer an outboard recorder like the 8 track Tascam DR 680 I bought and use. It's actually a 6 track that can do two more channels provided two two are digital and not analog.

This way you never have to worry about driver conflicts or OS updates that don't want to get along.

Not to rub it in, but that is why I prefer an outboard recorder like the 8 track Tascam DR 680 I bought and use. It's actually a 6 track that can do two more channels provided two two are digital and not analog.

This way you never have to worry about driver conflicts or OS updates that don't want to get along.

Oh yes I remember you saying you had one of these recorder units.. and I would have got one at the time.. but they're not cheap as I recall (I got my Motu at a real bargain price on eBay otherwise I just couldn't have done it) and my budget is ever diminishing.. if I win the Lotto or my situation changes I'm gonna get one of your Tascam recorders for sure! :D

Nope. I've refused so far to update it because my Mac is OLD (in "modern age terms", early 2008)... so I got a LOT of Apps that will NOT work on El kap'nkrunchatain (giggle, nice one!)...

BUT
I FOUND THE CULPRIT!!!!

it's the browser!!!!!
(Firefox and all the tabs I got open!)

BTW, your setup is sweeet!

Nope. I've refused so far to update it because my Mac is OLD (in "modern age terms", early 2008)... so I got a LOT of Apps that will NOT work on El kap'nkrunchatain (giggle, nice one!)...

BUT
I FOUND THE CULPRIT!!!!

it's the browser!!!!!
(Firefox and all the tabs I got open!)

BTW, your setup is sweeet!

Phew! :p

Never update (in my layman's very humble opinion! :eek: )
Things have gone really wrong when I have updated the OS.. it all worked best about.. ooh 5 years ago.. coincidence?! :D

Safari is an unbelievable memory guzzler.. with each window I open I see another chunk of RAM gobbled up.. how/why is it so inefficient, I mean most web pages like these forums can't be of any size can they?

Tweet did you say? Yes its a budget budgie setup! Tweet tweet! :p

If money were no object I'd have a Michell Gyrodec, a proper MOTU (like an 828Mk3) a truly great moving coil cart and a super dooper phono stage, etc.. but back on planet earth its a 2nd hand motu, an old technics with an audio technica and a 20 quid behringer preamp! :D

Phew! :p

Never update (in my layman's very humble opinion! :eek: )
Things have gone really wrong when I have updated the OS.. it all worked best about.. ooh 5 years ago.. coincidence?! :D

Safari is an unbelievable memory guzzler.. with each window I open I see another chunk of RAM gobbled up.. how/why is it so inefficient, I mean most web pages like these forums can't be of any size can they?

Tweet did you say? Yes its a budget budgie setup! Tweet tweet! :p

If money were no object I'd have a Michell Gyrodec, a proper MOTU (like an 828Mk3) a truly great moving coil cart and a super dooper phono stage, etc.. but back on planet earth its a 2nd hand motu, an old technics with an audio technica and a 20 quid behringer preamp! :D

It all comes down to the fact that you like how it sounds...

Tweet? erm whassatPete?...unless it was..I twat I taw a puttytat kinda tweet, then ...no....

Yeah..Behringerrrr stuff is a crapshoot...sometimes they are not bad...but then...they are not good...

Back