[hiresaudiocentral.com] HRAC interview with Walter Becker (if you missed it like I did)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walter is asked about his thoughts on surround sound, and "future" releases of classic Steely Dan in surround.
For those whom this interview is old news, please forgive as it's new to moi.
Link:
http://hiresaudiocentral.com/hrac-e...ecker-on-surround-sound-recording-techniques/

Thanks for the repost, @boondocks . In re:Royal Scam (whose masters Becker says they "ha[d] on dual 16-track [machines]"): on Episode 3 of his "What Makes This Song Great" YouTube series, guitarist Rick Beato plays with a multi-track of "Kid Charlemagne." It's cool--and tantalizing--to hear him isolate and combine bass, bass drum, snare & hi-hat, keyboards, and (especially) Larry Carlton's solo guitar.

Jon I think we all feel that way!
I thought it was sort of sad about SD offering to pay $600 for the missing multitracks. (Aja) But then, that's Becker and Fagen!
They came together when many of us were young and became part of lives, just as surely as The Beatles or Stones, at least for myself. I remember "Reelin' In The Years" about the time I got out of the Army. Man it was on the radio constantly (so was Seals & Crofts "Summer Breeze" and if I'm not mistaken it was on the AFN (armed forces network) overseas though I'm hazy on that. Prolly that darn Conrad Adenour played it. lol! ;)

Jon I think we all feel that way!
I thought it was sort of sad about SD offering to pay $600 for the missing multitracks. (Aja) But then, that's Becker and Fagen!
They came together when many of us were young and became part of lives, just as surely as The Beatles or Stones, at least for myself. I remember "Reelin' In The Years" about the time I got out of the Army. Man it was on the radio constantly (so was Seals & Crofts "Summer Breeze" and if I'm not mistaken it was on the AFN (armed forces network) overseas though I'm hazy on that. Prolly that darn Conrad Adenour played it. lol! ;)

You mean Adrian Cronauer...the D.J. that was the basis(but mostly fictional)for the movie Good Morning Vietnam...

Last edited:
Great read! My heart aches to know Pretzel Logic, mixed by ES, is sitting on a drive somewhere :(

IMO I think those tapes are gone....no facts to support it...just my opinion...and I think the whole $600 story about Aja is science fiction...they know what happened to them...and knows who had them....again....my opinion only..

I WANT MY PRETZEL LOGIC sooner than later. :)

(Thanks for the link. I either missed it the first time, or forgot about it!)

Until PL is released in 5.1, Jon, hope these suffice

See the source image

Logical Pretzels with Happy Faces :ROFLMAO:sugary bon bons for Jon Jon!

Last edited:
IMO I think those tapes are gone....no facts to support it...just my opinion...and I think the whole $600 story about Aja is science fiction...they know what happened to them...and knows who had them....again....my opinion only..
Well, those two were notably unreliable interviewees...they used to really piss off some folks that tried to question them about almost anything. Others just went with the flow (I heard) and got out of it whatever they could. I mean, look at their music. The lyrics are all so smoothly integrated into the music until you actually listen. I still get a smile when I listen to "Gaslighting Abbey" & "Cousin Dupree) It becomes apparent that although they were very very serious about the music, they didn't mind taking liberties with the lyrics.
"So drink your Big Black Cow and get outta heah!"

Back