History of the Eagles: Showtime Documentary with NEW 5.1 Clips

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Don't let the three-hour-plus runtime scare you.
Just drop your needle at the start and hang till you get bored.
You won't.

Showing now in HD on Showtime -- also available OnDemand (also in HD) on some systems.

If you're used to music documentaries, get ready for a visual shock. Instead of the usual shaky-cam, low-resolution video footage, you'll see a lot of true HD of these guys back in the day. Seems they had a habit of making professional home movies of themselves, in 16mm! As they switch between 2013 and wayback, you'll get a little disoriented when Don Henley turns suddenly skinny with a 70's fro while the image quality doesn't change. Much of this footage is shown here for the first time ever.

But enough of the visuals. It seems Elliot Scheiner and Mike Harlow have remixed EVERYTHING here in true, discrete 5.1 -- even the concert footage. Though it's mostly only short clips, you'll get a taste of many Eagles original studio tracks for the first time in surround, including:

The Long Run
I Can't Tell You Why
Love Will Keep Us Alive
How Long
No More Walks in the Wood

This last track is another Seven Bridges Road: four-part harmony, one voice per channel. Very nice.

You'll also hear clips from One of These Nights in what appear to be new 5.1 mixes -- much better than their lackluster quad ancestors.
The outtro has a good portion of The Long Run uninterrupted.

I always expected Long Road Out of Eden to be a surround release. Since remixing any portion is almost as much work as doing the whole track, it's clear now that ELS has remixed it for surround, as well as possibly the entire Eagles catalog.

This documentary will also be released on Blu-ray and DVD on April 30.

great find eggplant! :)

so I guess the follow on question is.. how to get these ES 5.1 mixes out..?

If WB aren't interested maybe another label could license them?

Back