Holst, The Planets

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Good news,

Got a reply from Naxos stating that this DVD Audio title is scheduled for an international release in July.

Frank

The title is now listen on the www.naxos.com website.
Under labels-:D VD Audio

The catalog number is 5.110004 for this release.
I received an Email from naxos that this international release was scheduled for July

Interesting to note is that the catalog numbers of the previous releases end with 1 and 2. (Vivaldi & Ferde Grofe)

So which title goes with 5.110003 ?

Frank

Frank, I've verified the release through their website and have updated the Worldwide Release list. Thanks for the info.

mike

Has anyone heard this disc yet?

I'm not especially into classical music, but I've picked up a few "classic" titles (i.e., one or two of the Beethovens) to enjoy the hi-rez sonics.

I know there's a domestic release of The Planets, but despite it being a highly-praised work by Andre Previn, I never bought it because it's original date of recording is more than two decades ago (practically the dark ages).

So I'd be curious to know if anyone's heard/can recommend the Naxos version. Amazon's site in England has it listed at a really good price and it's in stock, so I was tempted to get it. Wanted to check out this board and the Home Theater Forum before I committed myself, though.

Thanks for the warning. Like you, I won't be ordering this version of The Planets either. Maybe one day there'll be a hi-rez version on DVD-A, but since they've already put two lo-rez recordings out, that doesn't seem likely. Well, not lo-rez, but you know what I mean.

In spite of being a 24b/44.1 recording it still sounds very, very good. Better sound has more to do with more bits and the fact it's multichannel than with more samples.

I think that 96ks will be a bit better still. But hey, Naxos is a lo budget recordlabel. And the disc is not that expensive.

Listen to this disc and not to these audioasylum characters.
99% of them have an opinion without a listening experiance.

Frank

Back