how to configure a quadraphonic dac system ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisveegee

Hi there,
I'm new here, found this site while searching the net.
I'm writing this in the hope of good advices in a particular matter...
I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, and I do have now digital HQ quadriphonic recordings of my favourite albums and tracks.
I'd like to listen to them with a high-end hifi system, of wich I do have already some parts (4 amplifiers, 4 speakers).
But now (and only now, I'm an old fart...), I'm going into digital, and as I do have those digital quadriphonic recordings (4.0 and also 5.1), I want to upgrade my system, but by doing it correctly from the start.
Would anybody be so kind and help me build a correct system ?
As I said, I do have the recordings, but I need to know what kind of DAC(s) I need.
Trying to get information on the internet, I discovered that there are 4 (even 8 / 16) channels DACs, but I don't know if they are what I'm looking for... They seem for professional use, but what about hardware for audiophiles like me ?
I really don't know what specificaly I should have between my hard disk (and/or DVDs, BlueRays) and the amplifiers, only that there should be one (or 2 ?) very good DACs, most important is the quality of sound...
I'd like to add that I'm not particularely interested in a home cinema system, 5.1 or 7.1 doesn't ring a bell to me, but if what I'm looking for can also be used to watch concerts recorded in audio HQ (and not only picture UHD), that would be even better !
Thank you very much in advance for your advices !
Cheers
Chris

Hello,
would be useful to know what hardware you already have, as audio sources (you say Hard Disk and dvd/bluray; discs are ripped, or you intend to play it directly?) and amplifier (vintage quad? modern multichannel? analog in? digital in?).
With these infos it will be easier to suggest the missing DAC piece.

Well, I have those old 4.0 versions on DVD and BlueRay, but I heard they cannot be played directly, they have to be ripped off on a hard disk.
So my answer would be : I'd like to play both, 5.1 versions from DVD/BlueRay and 4.0 from HD.
As for amplifiers, I have 2 stereo Rotel RB-1080 (analog in, symetrical or asymetrical)
Thank you very much !

Hi there,
I'm new here, found this site while searching the net.
I'm writing this in the hope of good advices in a particular matter...
I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, and I do have now digital HQ quadriphonic recordings of my favourite albums and tracks.
I'd like to listen to them with a high-end hifi system, of wich I do have already some parts (4 amplifiers, 4 speakers).
But now (and only now, I'm an old fart...), I'm going into digital, and as I do have those digital quadriphonic recordings (4.0 and also 5.1), I want to upgrade my system, but by doing it correctly from the start.
Would anybody be so kind and help me build a correct system ?
As I said, I do have the recordings, but I need to know what kind of DAC(s) I need.
Trying to get information on the internet, I discovered that there are 4 (even 8 / 16) channels DACs, but I don't know if they are what I'm looking for... They seem for professional use, but what about hardware for audiophiles like me ?
I really don't know what specificaly I should have between my hard disk (and/or DVDs, BlueRays) and the amplifiers, only that there should be one (or 2 ?) very good DACs, most important is the quality of sound...
I'd like to add that I'm not particularely interested in a home cinema system, 5.1 or 7.1 doesn't ring a bell to me, but if what I'm looking for can also be used to watch concerts recorded in audio HQ (and not only picture UHD), that would be even better !
Thank you very much in advance for your advices !
Cheers
Chris

Basic sound system:
Computer -> audio interface -> amps/speakers

This can be slick:
Computer -> thunderbolt or HDMI to HDMI cable -> HDMI AV receiver
Easy when it works and you like the choice of AV receiver.
There are big cons though! There are 'netbook' style computers with restricted HDMI ports with audio disabled. There are AV receivers with HDMI inputs disabled for audio. You have to know that and watch out for this stuff!

On the other hand, this always works:
Computer -> USB/firewire/thunderbolt cable -> audio interface -> amps/speakers of your choice

An audio interface with at least 8 channels of output (thus 8 channels of DAC) is the minimum.
The Tascam US 16x08 is the most frugal choice. This will have pro quality analog stages and AD and DA stages and 8 balanced analog outputs. It's only around $300.

On the computer, you select the audio interface as your output device. Click on 'configure speakers' in your OS audio utility to select the channel format you set your speakers up for (eg. 4.0, 5.1, 7.1, etc). Use your favorite media player app. Your OS audio utility should reformat different channel formats than you set for on the fly when that comes up. (eg Folding down 5.1 into 4.0, 7.1 into 5.1, etc)

You might be able to find a 4 channel output interface for a little less... That Tascam would have you ready for up to 7.1 surround though and it's a solid professional quality audio device. It's going to be higher quality than most consumer electronics. Certainly the junk sold at places like Worst Purchase!

Stay away from HDMI connecting interfaces. This has become a thing in places like Amazon and Worst Purchase. HDMI input (instead of USB, firewire, or thunderbolt) and unbalanced rca outputs. Try to avoid HDMI to begin with.

The "audio interface" is aimed at professional audio.
Many of these products are kind of aimed at the recording musician and offer serious bang for the buck in audio quality. (Knowing musicians tend to be poor and have no budget for fluff.) Consumer electronics often get into making a facsimile of a product in appearance only and overcharging for it. Don't be scared off if you aren't looking to record! Considering other options, an audio interface can still be a bargain even if you never use the mic inputs.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt
Well, I have those old 4.0 versions on DVD and BlueRay, but I heard they cannot be played directly, they have to be ripped off on a hard disk.
So my answer would be : I'd like to play both, 5.1 versions from DVD/BlueRay and 4.0 from HD.
The issue with 4.0 is not that they cant be played from disc, they certainly can, but many AVRs and disc players don't recognize true 4.0. They get confused and play 4.0 as stereo. In which case the solution is to rip them and add silent center/LFE channels to trick the equipment into thinking the track is actually 5.1 or 5.0.

At any rate there are several ways to do this:
1. Use a PC with attached storage, and a multichannel DAC. The PC is the easy part. Most use a NUC style mini PC, but a full size desktop or a laptop can work as well. You can use a hard drive (internal or external) or even flash drives to store music. Music can be output via HDMI, USB, or Firewire/Thunderbolt. Beware of the partly disabled ports Jim discusses above. I think this problem is much rarer than they once were, but you may still run into them on older or used equipment.

The DAC is the problem. Standalone Multichannel DACs are rare and expensive. Here is a great one to consider if you are into the higher end of audio. For less money, you are probably better off with low end Pro equipment.

2. Get a used Oppo disc player with analog out connections. The most inexpensive of which is an Oppo 103, but 105's 203's and 205's will also fit the bill at higher cost. Many on the forum here use this kind of setup. The Oppo will accept digital signals from an attached drive and provide a decoded analog signal out than can feed the power amps. Of course it can also play disks directly. You will likely need some kind multichannel preamp to control all this. Do you have one? They are even rarer than multi channel DACs these days.

3. Get an AVR with pre-outs or a multichannel Pre/Pro. For simple 5.1, the AVR can be an older or used model. Newer models will provide for Atmos support as well. I use one of these. But there are others. This will give you a functional DAC and a full analog control preamp that you can plug into your power amps. There are newer models from the same manufacturer at much higher cost.

Do you have a budget in mind? Do you have a home network? What about a preamp? What about equipment to rip with?

Thanks a lot guys for your detailed answers (and the hints on the cons) !!
I posted the same questions on Page Redirection and got there also good advices (including to search here ;-) !)
What I'll probabely do first is buy a good Denon AVR, probably the X3600H, (because I don't need 13.2 channels to listen 5.1 or 4.0 encoded tracks...) and plug a good BlueRay player and a Hard disk for the ripped tracks the former can't play (i.e. the 4.0 tracks from the 70s).
If the quality of sound is not good enough, I'll go for a good software (it seems that Roon would be a good choice) and an excellent DAC, like th Okto dac8 Pro.
This answers one of your questions, LuvMyQuad, about my budget ;-) ...
I don't have a home network, the preamp would be the AVR, and it's one of my friends who does the ripoff.
Thanks again and take care !
Chris

Back