How to get started with multichannel SACD on the cheap?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the links! The gigaport ex is $180 and doesn't have great reviews. The Topping DM7 is $600 which is far to rich for me. The other two links appear to be DSP, is it possible to use them as usb interface?

I also found the MOTU UltraLite-mk5 for $650, the Okto dac8 PRO for €1 373, the M-Audio ProFire 2626 Firewire Interface for ~$130 on ebay (but you have to find a computer with firewire?), or a DIYINHK diy DAC (not hearing great things).

or a 5.1 SoundBlasterX PCIe card on a raspberry pi 4 CM with io board? Now that sounds like a bad idea.

The other steaming possibility I found was using a raspberry pi or other computer to stream via HDMI or USB to a receiver that will accept DSD. This seems intriguing, but it seems like a lot of the "normal" streaming software doesn't work for this. Maybe jriver or kodi works based on some quick searches. Would love to hear if someone has a setup like this!

Last edited:
Some members here use the M Audio in some variants. It might be getting long in tooth maybe driver wise. You can always add a Firewire card if you need to.

According to some reviewers, the ESI may improve if a USB isolator is used which probably adds a few bucks to the cost.

Over at Audio Science Review there are some folks that like the Okto. It is well thought of but is a very small company in Prague so they have had some customer experience criticism. It seems to be used more for a crossover network than for multichannel.

I do not own any of these items yet but have been watching them with interest.

I've been listening to some of my discs in Stereo but I've noticed that my Samsung HD950 won't play the SACD layer of some of my hybrid discs. The SACD-only discs I have seem to work fine and some of the hybrids work fine, but on other hybrid discs it starts playing the CD layer and when I try to switch it a little "no symbol" pops up on the TV.

I've tried cleaning the discs, but to no avail. Is this just what I should expect with cheap old dvd players? Any tips? Any cheap tips? :p

I've been listening to some of my discs in Stereo but I've noticed that my Samsung HD950 won't play the SACD layer of some of my hybrid discs. The SACD-only discs I have seem to work fine and some of the hybrids work fine, but on other hybrid discs it starts playing the CD layer and when I try to switch it a little "no symbol" pops up on the TV.

I've tried cleaning the discs, but to no avail. Is this just what I should expect with cheap old dvd players? Any tips? Any cheap tips? :p
It's done well for a player that was originally released way back in 2005...

The lack of playback of particular discs might be a region issue? I honestly don't even know if sacd were produced as region specific like dvds were...

As for strategy, I would spend a tiny bit extra coin and get something that will play more media types without needing to rely solely on legacy (analog input/output only) gear, which will justify spending that tiny bit more. This will ensure the system can do more than playback CDs and a handful of SACDs. The more useful it is, the more you'll likely use it. Don't let the starting point with the increasingly ancient $10 player be your baseline for future component considerations. It would make more sense to throw it out then try to put lipstick on it.

DVD or Bluray player that includes SACD surround playback capability, with full bitstream capable hdmi output. Anything retail since 2010-ish should fulfill this -- just look at the owner's manual online before buying to be sure. [eBay is good for these, they aren't huge in size or super heavy]

Receiver that accepts hdmi video and bitstream audio input over the same wire [maybe a friend/family member has something in their closet, otherwise eBay is fine if willing to accept that shipping for something heavy diminishes the deal buying used]

You can get a 5.1 speaker setup in a box new for $250 or less that will be adequate. Putting this together is possible through the thrifting/flea markets, but might take a while and there's plenty of opportunities to buy something defective, or that dies a week later, or whatever. I think used is better if you're seeking out specialty gear, in which case the time for the hunt and risk of it being junk are outweighed by the thing itself. Guess I'm saying speakers can rattle, have a loose wire, be blown, etc. These things can't always be fully tested prior to bringing them home. Since new speakers and subs that sound decent are fairly cheap, I'd just go the new route for them.

Craigslist might be an option if it's active in your area, and the seller might have the ability to test the gear with you at their place.

Worth stating the obvious -- a good surround setup isn't done cheap, so everything in your scenario is going to be compromised. I have about $1300 (some of it is aging though) into my budget 4k bluray/sacd/dvda playback system, and this is the bare minimum I could see spending and getting a pleasing experience from. It sounds like you want to come into this at 30% that cost total. IMHO that's an impossibility unless you luck out (someone gives you free stuff) or take many many many months or years seeking components used.

Last edited:
There are a large number of circa 2000-2010 DVD players that 1) will play DVD-A discs 2) Have analog multichannel outputs 3) many of the later ones also have HDMI outputs 4) Play DVD-A AND SACD, almost everything an Oppo does(including DTS) except Blue Ray. These can be bought for very reasonable prices.

Before I lucked into an Oppo and then another Oppo , I picked up a nice Yamaha DVD S1700 from a guy who had just gotten hisself an Oppo, for $40.

These can be the gateway drug before you decide to leave your family and devote your life to your system. There are other manufacturers of competitive contemporaneous players that are similar in features and price. Pioneer Sony Schmarantz and probably many others. You just have to
be observant at the target rich environments. I love @Titch's post above :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This was on FaceBook marketplace where I have had very very good luck. I have bought a lot of lawn and electronic equipment there.

Last edited:

Yes, that can be a problem with old players. I stopped using my Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD for that very reason. That player served me well for many years, I did pay top dollar for it. It didn't do SACD natively but converted to PCM which I didn't think was a big deal, that is until I got my Oppo BDP-103 and noticed a big difference with SACDs played natively (DSD) vs player converted PCM.

Prior to finding that some of the new DV SACD releases would not play in the Pioneer I actually bought a second identical player for $50 and then yet another. One for another room the other for a spare. The Pioneer being a DVD did not play Blu-ray audio so I bought an LG "Super Blu" player which plays HD DVDs as well as Blu-ray also cheap about $100 IIRC.

I fully endorse your bargain basement approach, you can pick up some excellent stuff for pennies. As others have stated it can be a gateway drug and you may want something better and better. Keep looking for bargains, stay a bit behind the curve for the best deals! As for me I like the older gear, I use HDMI primarily for video. I couldn't live without my analogue inputs and outputs!

I neglected to ask...

What's the make and model number of your current AVR? Does it offer HDMI inputs or is it an analogue input only device?

I fully endorse your bargain basement approach, you can pick up some excellent stuff for pennies. As others have stated it can be a gateway drug and you may want something better and better. Keep looking for bargains, stay a bit behind the curve for the best deals! As for me I like the older gear, I use HDMI primarily for video. I couldn't live without my analogue inputs and outputs!
I was pretty excited about my Samsung pickup since it was metal, not weird shaped like the Sony BDPs, and was on the list of players that could play SACD-Rs (with a hacked firmware). I've been trying to get the firmware updated to see if I can play burned copies of the discs it can't read, but I've been unsuccessful thus far.

Update: My ~2009 Yamaha avr seems to be working pretty well. I had to buy a replacement YPAO microphone from Yamaha, but with that I was able to do a calibration. I intended to use the analog multichannel in, but before buying it I made sure it would also support multichannel PCM and DSD over HDMI. I made three attempts to buy old SACD players off eBay. Two ended in disaster and one wouldn't do DSD over HDMI (only PCM). I then got really lucky with an XBP-800 from a local thrift shop that works very well for sending DSD over HDMI. With that I listened to the few SACDs I have and they sounded great.

Then I realized that I could hook it up to my computer via HDMI and listen to all the Atmos music on Apple Music so I've been doing a bunch of that. Some of it just seems to be surround gimmicks but other albums sound quite good. I've been hearing that many of the Atmos mixes have less DRC than the stereo mixes. Seems like a good entry point for surround music. Overall, fun stuff to play around with, but I don't know about diving into SACD as a format. Too many weird gotchas and the media is so expensive. Definitely worth it if you're already paying for Apple Music.

I bought a Sony BDP-S6700 (plays MCH-SACDs ) at Walmart, set it to downmix to Dolby Surround and use either my basement system (Dolby Pro-Logic decoding) or my upstairs system (Hafler/DynaQuad - surround sound using only a stereo amplifier and one more speaker), also use an HDMI to RCA analog stereo converter.

(although it's triphonic surround sound, it sounds pretty good)

Kirk Bayne

Back