• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I am new to the forum, but an old SQ developer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffBanke

I worked with Wesley Ruggles and Martin Wilcox on the development of the Tate SQ enhancement system.
Have been out of the arena for years, in the video business, but am now interested in selling all my one time used SQ, QS and CD4 records. I used to record my disks on a professional Technics casette tape recorder and used the tapes thereafter, and double sleeved my albums. They are in pristine condition. I have Johnny Winters, Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, to Barbera Striesand and Andy Williams with many classical pieces also. In all I have about 150 as good as new disks looking for a new home. I would purchase a Quadraphonic decoder myself and listen to them, but I have spend many years teaching firearms, and as such have hearing loss, so could not appreciate the quality of these disks.
Anyone interested can contact me at [email protected].

Very nice! Welcome to QQ Jeff.

Do you have any of the unreleased stuff like the quad reels that Columbia had internally?

Sorry Jon, I don't everything is on Vinyl, hate to part with it all but running out of room. So here is the list which I believe is complete :)

Classical
Saint-Saens Organ Symphony #3 C minor City of Birmingham Orchetra (EMI)
Carmina Burana - Cleveland Orchestra
John William & Andre Previn Guitar concerto -Ponce - London Symohy
Highlights from Leonard bernsteins - Mass
Leonard Berstein Mass complete work 2 record set
Leonard Bernstein - Concert for Peace, Haydn- Mass in time of War
Verdi Requim - Leonard bernstein & London Symphony 2 disk set
Bernstein - Stravinsky -La Sacre du Printemps, London Symphony Orchestra
Sir Adrian conducts Wagner (on EMI)
Bach for band London Symphony Band
Bach organ favorites vol V - E Power biggs
E Power Biggs - Music for organ, Brass and percussion
E Power Biggs - plays Joplin
Isacc Stern - Romance
Quadraphonic Classics - various (EMI)
Mozarts greatest hits - various
Stravinsky - Firebird - Seiji Ozawa - Orchestre de Paris
The Antiphonal organs of Frieburg cathedral played simultaneously by E Power Biggs
Sonatas for cello and Piano- Hundemith & Casadesus ( Golden Crest records crs 4099)
Boulex conducts Ravel New York Philiharmonic
Boulez conducts Bartok NYP
Boulez conducts Wagner , NYP
Ormandy & The philidelphia Orchestra - Sher Sonic Sorcery
Ormandy & the Mormon Tabernacle choir - Tchaikovsky 1812 overture & Romeo & Juliet
Zukerman play and conducts Vivaldi's - The Four Seasons, English Chamber orchestra
Mormon Tabernacle choir - Stars & Stripes forever

Modern/Jazz
Argent - In Deep
Isaac Hayes - Joy
Isaac Hayes - Shaft (2 album)
Blue Oyster Culy - Tyranny & Mutation
Herbie hancock Sextant
Ramsey Lewis Trio - Upendo ni Pamoja
Johhny Winter - saints & Sinners
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge over troubled water
Chase - Pure music
Santana - Abraxas
Santana - Welcome
The best of Mountain
Morton Subotnick - Sidewinder
Morton SubotNick - Touch
Minnie Riperton - Perfect Angel
Rose garden - Lynn Anderson
Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
Bitches brew - Miles Davis
Pearl - Janis Jolin
The world of Harry Partch
Stoney end - Barbra Streisand
Barbra Joan Striesand
Barbra Streisand
Barbra Strisand - Live (concert at the forum)
Lee Michaels - Nice day for something
Andy Williams pre re;lease unlabled disk
Chicago VI
Chicago -The Chaicago Transit Authority
Don Ellis - Tears of Joy (2 disk)
Once again - Barclay James harvest (EMI)
360 degrees of Billy Paul
Buffy St. Marie - Quiet places (Vanguard)
Thijs Van Leer - Introspection

Shows
A little night music
Aquarius
Funny girl
No No Nannette
Company - original cast
Purlie
Andrews Siters in Over here
Fiddler on the roof

Other
John Keating - Space experience
John Keating & the LSO - 250 years of film music
Turn your radio on - Ray Stevens
Man of La Mancha - Jim Nabors and Marilyn Horne
Help me make it through the night - Jim Nabors
Summer of 42 - Peter Nero
The new Brass Sound of Hits - San Fernando Brass
An introduction to world of quadraphonic sound
Quadraphonic spectacular - Peter Matz
Quadraphonic Sound effects volume 15
Vanguard Quadraphonic demonstration album - mixed artists
The full Spectrum of Quadraphonic sound (Realistic, various artists)
SQ 4 channel sound (various artisits, Lafayette)

I also have several copies of SQT1000 and SQT1100 tests disks that were used for setting sytems up correctly.
I also have about 10 CD-4 disks and several Project 3 disks, that I do not know which system they conformed to

Any chance to a hi-rez stereo transfer of the two test discs? It will be always useful to check out the decoders, hardware and software.

Jeff,

What aspect of the DES did you work on? I've talked with Martin Willcocks a few times in the last year about DES development, and it's so incredibly interesting. You should write an article about your experiences and post it here.

Do you have the booklets that went along with the CBS SQ test LP's? If so, could you scan it and send me a copy? I had one for years, but it, sadly, got lost in the move to my new home.

Ty C.

NOTE: JeffBanke replied to Disclord's post above by replying to the tread update email, which of course ends up coming to me. Here is his response to the above post. Remember, not from me, it's from JeffBanke:

Hi Ty,
Basically, Tate was 4 people, Wesley, Ruggles, Martin Wilcox, our Office manager who's name escapes me now, and myself. Martin the designer, my position was called Marketing engineer, which simply meant that I assisted Martin with the construction of his original design, then assisted Wesley in travelling to EMI, DG, A&M and all the other records companies, Bose speaker, Fischer and Marantz to show them what we had. I was also at the 1974-75 CES in Chicago showing our products.
I then moved from LA to work with National Semiconductor in replicating our system using their discreet components, from which they were then going to make the chips for us. Nearing the end of this stage of the construction of the chips, Wes ran out of money, CBS had been funding some of it. Anyway, I was then out of work, and went off in search of other jobs, so missed the litigation that ensued thereafter.

So, I guess you could say I was about as close to it as anyone :)

I lost track of Martin, and went into the Broadcast television industry working for Ampex, BTS, Philips, SGI and others. Interestingly enough Wesley recently got hold of me and we had dinner a couple of times in the last few months.
So this is my history, short and sweet:)

As for the books, I do not think I have any, but will take a second look. I am however heading for New Zealand on Sunday, so will be gone for 3 weeks returning on the 25th.

Jeff

BTW, If you have contact information for Martin please drop me a line with it or give him mine.

Back