Individual drum separation models available

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeerround

Staff member
QQ Supporter
On mvsep.com

We have added the DrumSep model. This model produces a detailed separation of the drum track into 4 types: 'kick', 'snare', 'cymbals', 'toms'. The DrumSep model from this github repository is used. The model has two operating modes. The first (default) in the begining applies the Demucs4 HT model to the track, which extracts only the drum part. Next, the DrumSep model is applied. If your track consists only of drums, then it makes sense to use the second mode, where the DrumSep model is applied directly to the loaded audio. Demos available here.

I haven't tried it yet.

Also there is chatter about new general separation models coming that score higher than anything else publicly available. I guess we'll find out over time. The chatter was about "sami-bytedance" on the leader board here: h**ps://mvsep.com/quality_checker/multisong_leaderboard? but I don't know what the top 3 models are that have MUCH higher scores than even sami-bytdance".

I guess sami = SAMI (Speech, Audio & Music Intelligence) team at ByteDance AI Research lab

Listening to the one demo that is not from an mp3 source, and from one example upload, I'd say the kick, cymbals, and snare stems are pretty good, but not the toms.

I tried summing kick, cymbals, and snare stems and then "subtracting" it from the all drums separation, to get toms, but it wasn't any better, AND, there are some "other" sounds that are missing in the other drum stems, so it seams you really need kick, cymbals, snare, toms, and "other" to avoid loosing some drum "artifacts". If you made your own "other" stem, from whatever stems you extracted you'd get the missing sounds in that, however.

Thanks for this info Glenn. I used the gyrations you mentioned in your above post to properly separate the toms. I made this wide-front drum spread from a (rather dirty sounding) mono drum track circa 1969:

Snare: right left with reverb right left
Cymbals: left right with reverb left right
Kick: center
Toms: center

Last edited:
Thanks for this info Glenn. I used the gyrations you mentioned in your above post to properly separate the toms. I made this wide-front drum spread from a (rather dirty sounding) mono drum track circa 1969:

Snare: right with reverb left
Cymbals: left with reverb right
Kick: center
Toms: center

View attachment 100193
The lefts and rights are reversed from what you describe when I play the clip.

Back