Inside Atmos Equipped Studios

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes me wonder about the safety decisions that people make in mounting their Auro 3D VOG speakers… 🤔

I put false ceiling (sound absorber) in the living-room to hide cabling, lighting and also for mounting the in-ceiling Atmos speakers.

But I had to "invent" how to hang the Auro-3D bookshelf speakers from the ceiling. Obviously, not from the false ceiling, but from the concrete slab.

I didn't want to drill the speakers, so with some custom cages made with my design by the guy who installed the windows.

That was for the Auro Front Heights, Rear Heights and Central Height. Because the Top Center (VOG) was a in-ceiling speakers, same as the Atmos.

Here you have some pictures of the work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_20190306_092722.jpg
    IMG_20190306_092722.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190306_103711.jpg
    IMG_20190306_103711.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190306_135037.jpg
    IMG_20190306_135037.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190306_191519.jpg
    IMG_20190306_191519.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190306_191531.jpg
    IMG_20190306_191531.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Very impressive. I’m consistently wowed by the amazing installations that I’ve seen from people like you.
Thank you.
I think I'm in tune with the universe.
In addition to the design effort to achieve a kind of dedicated room without ceasing to be a traditional living room, I have had the full support of my wife, for the number of speakers and cables, and the motorized Projector Screen. :)

Thank you.
I think I'm in tune with the universe.
In addition to the design effort to achieve a kind of dedicated room without ceasing to be a traditional living room, I have had the full support of my wife, for the number of speakers and cables, and the motorized Projector Screen. :)

As impressive as all your achievements are, the one in bold is the most impressive!

Completely agree that a talented engineer can make it sound good with any setup they're familiar with irrespective of imperfections with that setup.

Bob Clearmountain commented in this vein and mentioned that he just puts his surround speaker where they're convenient to be physically.

His height speakers for Atmos are cheap small Sonys!

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mixing-atmos-bob-clearmountain...
“In the early days I was involved in a paper about the proper way to set up a 5.1 system for mixing along with a bunch of other engineers like George Massenburg, and I remember there was a big discussion about ‘Where do you put the rear speakers?’ and ‘What’s the angle in relation to the centre?’ And I said, ‘Man, I put them where nobody will bump into them.’ I’m just using basically large bookshelf Dynaudio BM15As and then they’re on speaker stands in the only place that I can fit them and it works perfectly, you know? It’s been fine. A lot of it’s just practicality, you know?”

He adopted the same pragmatic approach to Atmos monitoring, with its additional height speakers. “Because the studio’s in the basement of my house, we had just redone the floors in the living room, which is right above where I’m sitting. While we did that, I put these pipes in, thinking, ‘If I ever have to put speakers in the ceiling, now I have a way of getting wires to them instead of them hanging off the walls,’ you know? And luckily I did that. So I added a couple more speakers to my 5.1 system so I had a 7.1 system. I found these little Sony speakers on the internet and stuck them on the ceiling. It’s a low ceiling so I didn’t want any really large speakers hanging off the ceiling. I didn’t want tall people to hit their head!”

“The first job I landed was Roxette, with a complete remix of their big hits”
“I think these days around 80% of the things I do are Atmos”
View attachment 83473
https://www.genelec.com/-/reference...-s-historic-atlantis-studios-upgrade-to-atmos
The placement of those front Atmos height speakers looks nothing like what I've seen in the Atmos guides. They seem more like where the wides would be placed but in the x-y plane at ear level like the fronts / center. And doesn't that computer screen right in front of the mixer interfere with the front sound field? Nothing like making what already can be confusing even more confusing. :unsure:

Reactions: mkt
The placement of those front Atmos height speakers looks nothing like what I've seen in the Atmos guides. They seem more like where the wides would be placed but in the x-y plane at ear level like the fronts / center. And doesn't that computer screen right in front of the mixer interfere with the front sound field? Nothing like making what already can be confusing even more confusing. :unsure:

The use and interpretation of the Atmos guides have to follow a recursive process like this:

1) First, note the recommended location, elevation and azimuth angle of each speaker.
2) Then, look for the nearest place in your room that the speaker could be installed.
3) Finally, change it according to your preferences or intuitions about what you think it will sound better.
4) Then ask for advise to the experts in a recognized forum.
5) When you feel totaly dazed and confused, go to step 1) again, to see how much you have deviated, and start the correction process.

“We worked out the best possible places for the monitors in the room, installed them and then calibrated the space with the help of Dolby engineers to gain the certification." You pay your money, you get your certification?

Back