Involve Audio's Surround Master... can I use a 2-channel receiver with it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnash53

I've been curious about Involve Audio's Surround Master. But I've read that one MUST HAVE a multi-channel (that means MORE than 2 channels) receiver to connect the Surround Master. Is that TRULY the case?

I've tried three modern surround sound receivers... and just haven't been impressed with any of their music listening modes... ProLogic II, DTS, Neo6, etc.

I currently have a nice Sanyo DCX3300KA that is in good shape... it has 2 matrix modes, Discrete, and SQ modes, as well as 2 channel. The "Matrix 2" mode is the one I listen to all the time. Wondering how it compares to the Surround Master. I've read that the Surround Master does a great job with 4-channel and 5.1. Can anyone "sell it to me" by telling me how great it is?

But I really want an answer to whether I can use a 2-channel receiver with the Surround Master.

Thanks!!!

Hal

You will need a receiver with at least 4 channels. The Surround Master takes 2 analog channels (from a digital, CD or record player) and turns them into 4 analog channels, but it does not have a built in amplifier. So, you will need a receiver with at least 4 analog channel inputs (5.1 or 7.1 will do as well) to amplify each of the four channels from the Surround Master. The Surround Master is also able to create 5.1 channels from 2 channels, but you will of course need at least a 5.1 channel receiver to enjoy this mode.

First of all, you have a 4 channel receiver, not a 2 channel set. The clue is that you have matrix modes. The question is if there is a four channel tape loop. Without that, you can not hook up the Surround Master. However, I suspect that if you have patience and take the time, you can find a better receiver at a reasonable cost. Try scouring your local craigslist ads and similar local websites. I picked up a nice Akai 4 channel receiver locally for $40 Canadian. It didn't serve my needs and is in storage now, but I found a JVC set for $20 at a local record store and put $100 into repairs. It has been decent for about a year now. If you fill out your profile and say where you are, there may be local members of QQ in your area who can either give a friendly helping hand, local knowledge, or even a possible deal on something that is just sitting around.

Thanks for the replies. My current receiver is a vintage Sanyo DCX3300KA, and it does have a 4-channel tape loop that I could use.

How does the Surround Master sound compare to the "vintage quadraphonic sound"? Is the Surround Master better sounding?

BUT... one of the reasons I am looking at a Surround Master is to be able to have a modern receiver that I don't have to worry about because of its age, but still have great 4-channel sound.

One comment above mentioned a modern JVC multi-channel receiver to use with the Surround Master. What other "modern" receivers would work well with a Surround Master? I use my system for AUDIO mostly, but do watch some movies... but I am mostly concerned with using the Surround Master for AUDIO... so I want to get a good multi-channel receiver.

Thanks again for your comments... please keep them coming!!!

Back