New to Surround Master - Connection questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm finally able to afford the Surround Master, ordered one and finally got it !!

Now some questions as to how I can hook it up. I read through a bunch of the posts, but still at a loss.

My options are to use a Sony STR-DA5200ES or a Kenwood VR-7070. both have discrete 5ch inputs, but the Sony has a zone 2 output that I think I can use to send to the SM, and then back to the discrete inputs of the Sony. Is that correct? Worst case, I guess I could use both receivers. I'm hoping that the Sony will fit the bill.

All help is greatly appreciated!! I can t wait to get this hooked up!

--Ed

I'm fairly ignorant on the whole setup. @J. PUPSTER and @Sonik Wiz walked me through it all after @chucky3042 told me what to do in an email. Looking at page 48 of your manual, would you just use the MULTI IN setting to play what the Surround Master is decoding?
Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 2.40.03 PM.png

I'm finally able to afford the Surround Master, ordered one and finally got it !!

Now some questions as to how I can hook it up. I read through a bunch of the posts, but still at a loss.

My options are to use a Sony STR-DA5200ES or a Kenwood VR-7070. both have discrete 5ch inputs, but the Sony has a zone 2 output that I think I can use to send to the SM, and then back to the discrete inputs of the Sony. Is that correct? Worst case, I guess I could use both receivers. I'm hoping that the Sony will fit the bill.

All help is greatly appreciated!! I can t wait to get this hooked up!

--Ed
Yup you and @Clement have it correct. The input slected for Zone 2 will be sent out through the zone 2 output that goes to the input on the SM.Plug the outputs from the SM to the Multi Channel Inputs and select that for playback.

My options are to use a Sony STR-DA5200ES or a Kenwood VR-7070. both have discrete 5ch inputs, but the Sony has a zone 2 output that I think I can use to send to the SM, and then back to the discrete inputs of the Sony. Is that correct?
That is how mine is set up on my Marantz AVR, so you should be able to do it on your Sony. I have the Zone 2 output going into the Surround Master and then the output of the Surround Master going back to the multi-channel analog inputs.

You can get a phono preamp fairly cheaply, although there plenty of budget busters out there, too. Connections in that case would be turntable to preamp, preamp to SMV3, SMV3 to MCH input on the receiver.

I’ll also be using the optical connection from my Oppo 105 to the SMV3 once I figure out how to switch the MCH inputs to my prepro.

You can get a phono preamp fairly cheaply, although there plenty of budget busters out there, too. Connections in that case would be turntable to preamp, preamp to SMV3, SMV3 to MCH input on the receiver.

I’ll also be using the optical connection from my Oppo 105 to the SMV3 once I figure out how to switch the MCH inputs to my prepro.

That Oppo will only send certain things out the Toslink. Not SACD, for instance.

I'm fairly ignorant on the whole setup. @J. PUPSTER and @Sonik Wiz walked me through it all after @chucky3042 told me what to do in an email. Looking at page 48 of your manual, would you just use the MULTI IN setting to play what the Surround Master is decoding?
View attachment 94998
I'm finding out a few things that I don't like with this Sony. First, the pre out for Zone two can only output analog, which is ok, but I was planning on using the optical out from my PC to send SQ encoded music to the SM. I guess analog will have to do. Second, the main problem is that I can't select phono for the zone 2 input. All of the other analog sources, but not phono. So close to getting this up and running, but not quite there yet.

Back