New Surround Master owner having trouble with set-up

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bill114, I tried another optical cable and still no sound at all.
Is there any way you can try this with analog inputs? Or have you done that already with the Puffin preamp? Even if the Puffin is DSP internally if it's output is analog seems it should still be compatible with the SM.

Really dumb question, but does the Surroundmaster have power? It ships with a power adaptor, I believe

You could try feeding any analog source into it, like headphone jack via RCA from an ipod/smartphone etc, just to verify it is actually doing it's thing?

Really dumb question, but does the Surroundmaster have power? It ships with a power adaptor, I believe

You could try feeding any analog source into it, like headphone jack via RCA from an ipod/smartphone etc, just to verify it is actually doing it's thing?
Not dumb. I'm sure some one some where thought the SM was a passive in be tween box. Yes it needs power from the wall wart.

This is a great suggestion, but it was one of the ideas that Chicago Audio (the seller) advised. And it did not work.

I want to thank all of the forum members for the advice and encouragement. For many hours over the last three days I worked with David at Involve; David at Chicago Audio and Shannon at Parks Audio (maker of the Puffin pre-amp). Additionally, I tried all of the suggestions provided by the Q.Q. forum members. Finally, Chicago Audio owner, Dave, offered to accept a return my Surround Master at his expense, test it in his store, and if it didn't work there, open another new one, test it before he sent it to me. Chicago Audio is the only U.S.A. retailer of the Involve Surround Master (he is listed on the Involve Surround Master website as an authorized dealer,) Chicago Audio spent over two hours on the phone with me while I tried various test to try to get my S.M. unit to work. This was great service and the return and replace offer at his expense is amazing. If you read the warranty from Involve, it requires the buyer to return the unit to Australia at the owner's expense. So I am packing up my current S.M. and shipping it back to Chicago and hoping the replacement works as it should.

Thanks again for your advice. I will post the results of the new unit when it is finally installed.

OK - here's a really dumb question: William, since you say you don't see the LED input level light, is it possible that you don't have the input level pot sufficiently advanced so as to activate the light?

J, no question is dumb when to trying to resolve this issue. The input level was turned from zero to the max (6+) on the dial with no sound. Each of the quadrant level outputs were also turned from -12 to +12 (min to max) during this trial with no results. Several tests were made to validate the operation of the multi-channel connections using other line level inputs. In other words, with the help of members of this forum, technicians from each of the connected components, (S.M., Puffin pre-amp, Yamaha and the seller, Chicago Audio) we tried and re-tried to connect the S.M. as specified, validated that all components worked and determined that the only component not functioning properly was the Surround Master. We even used different optical cables and RCA cables to see if that would solve the problem. I have learned over the years, that electronic equipment, including smart watches, etc. can fail without explanation. I am anxious to see what a replacement unit will do especially since the distributor has offered to test it before shipping it to me. Thanks for your "not dumb" question. All the best.

I want to thank all of the forum members for the advice and encouragement. For many hours over the last three days I worked with David at Involve; David at Chicago Audio and Shannon at Parks Audio (maker of the Puffin pre-amp). Additionally, I tried all of the suggestions provided by the Q.Q. forum members. Finally, Chicago Audio owner, Dave, offered to accept a return my Surround Master at his expense, test it in his store, and if it didn't work there, open another new one, test it before he sent it to me. Chicago Audio is the only U.S.A. retailer of the Involve Surround Master (he is listed on the Involve Surround Master website as an authorized dealer,) Chicago Audio spent over two hours on the phone with me while I tried various test to try to get my S.M. unit to work. This was great service and the return and replace offer at his expense is amazing. If you read the warranty from Involve, it requires the buyer to return the unit to Australia at the owner's expense. So I am packing up my current S.M. and shipping it back to Chicago and hoping the replacement works as it should.

Thanks again for your advice. I will post the results of the new unit when it is finally installed.

Wow how frustrating but it seems your keeping your cool despite all this. And Chicago Audio seems to be offering customer service in the best of ways. Looking forward to what happens next!

OK - here's a really dumb question: William, since you say you don't see the LED input level light, is it possible that you don't have the input level pot sufficiently advanced so as to activate the light?
What about the blue LED's? Were they lit? If they weren't, and the unit was plugged into power and the power button was pressed, try another power outlet. The problem may be the power supply, and not the SM itself.

Back