Involve CD4....Is there any life in it????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear All

We are currently having a bash at headphone surround sound using the Surround Master. I am just wondering what your collective experience is with this technique, currently my favorite other manufacturer version is DTS Headphone X. I have not tried the Smyth Realiser yet.

I would love to get your opinions/ Ideas

Regards

Chucky

While the idea of an all in one unit is very appealing and offering it as an upgrade to those of us who already have a Surround Master ( which I've already returned for the new SQ chip update ) is great, the specter of increased cost raises it's ugly head. It seems most have indicated they would be willing to pay approx $500 for the new CD-4 demodulator. Chucky said they would only be able to manufacture the unit at " reasonable cost " by modifying the circuitry of the current SM. If he has to create a whole new platform that would be both a cd-4 demodulator and an Involve/SQ-QS decoder ( with three chips instead of two in a newly designed and manufactured case ) it might raise the price beyond that which most QQ members would be willing to pay. I'm fortunate in that my 7.1 Surround Receiver ( a Denon AVR 5803 ) has two sets of 7.1 Aux inputs so I can connect both the SM and the CD-4 Demodulator.
Regards,
Al

Last edited:
I do NOT like the idea of return for upgrade! It cost me over $200 for shipping and insurance to send to Austrailia for the phono update!

I sent mine from Washington State (USA) to Australia for the SQ upgrade via USPS Priority Mail International Insured for full value and it only cost me approx $50.

Last edited:
I sent mine from WA to Australia for the SQ upgrade via USPS Priority Mail International Insured for full value and it only cost me approx $50.

WA can stand for the state of Washington or the state of Western Australia.

WA can stand for the state of Washington or the state of Western Australia.

I wasn't aware that the USPS delivers from an address in Australia to an address in the state of Western Australia. They must be trying to compete with Australia Post which may have a negative impact on Australia US relations ( LOL ).

I wasn't aware that the USPS delivers from an address in Australia to an address in the state of Western Australia. They must be trying to compete with Australia Post which may have a negative impact on Australia US relations ( LOL ).

It could confuse Australian Post workers if the return address doesn't say "USA". There's similar confusion in the US when people in Washington send mail to BC (British Columbia) and people in southern California send mail to BC (Baja California) without writing the name of the country it's going to.

It could confuse Australian Post workers if the return address doesn't say "USA". There's similar confusion in the US when people in Washington send mail to BC (British Columbia) and people in southern California send mail to BC (Baja California) without writing the name of the country it's going to.
It's a complicated world.

I understand your point. It just seemed to me that since the QQ member ( Surroundophile ) who made the post about paying over $200 to return his SM to Australia for the SQ upgrade is listed as having a location in Chicago, USA that by listing the USPS as the international shipping carrier I used, it was apparent that the point of origin for my SM was WA (USA) rather than WA ( Western Australia ). To remove any confusion I have edited my original post to specify the point of origin was WA (USA).

Hi BigBillquad

Ho Ho Ho and all that stuff.

Hope to do some interesting stuff happening next year and maybe make a start on the CD4 decoder!!

Hope everyone has a great new year

Santa Chucky

Hi. Chucky

I wish you and your crew a Very Merry Christmas. :51banana:
Bill...

Hi,

I am in for $500. What about the deal with Grado for F1 with shibata tips? Has any one asked of they are still willing to go forward?

Chuck Shimada

Hi,

I am in for $500. What about the deal with Grado for Gold with shibata tips? Has any one asked of they are still willing to go forward?

Chuck Shimada

Sorry about the mistake on the Grado, I realy liked the F1 though, the deal was for a GOLD.

I sent it back using UPS. What drove up the price was the insurance. With no insurance it would have been less than $100. I did try using USPS first, but they wouldn't send it with any insurance. And I wasn't about to send a $500 unit internationally without insurance.

I understand your point. It just seemed to me that since the QQ member ( Surroundophile ) who made the post about paying over $200 to return his SM to Australia for the SQ upgrade is listed as having a location in Chicago, USA that by listing the USPS as the international shipping carrier I used, it was apparent that the point of origin for my SM was WA (USA) rather than WA ( Western Australia ). To remove any confusion I have edited my original post to specify the point of origin was WA (USA).

Last edited:
Dear All

We are currently having a bash at headphone surround sound using the Surround Master. I am just wondering what your collective experience is with this technique, currently my favorite other manufacturer version is DTS Headphone X. I have not tried the Smyth Realiser yet.

Regards

Chucky

Another competing product in that field - the upcoming DaySequerra iMixLive 5.1 Surround Sound Processor.
It is limited to 5.1 Surround where the Smyth Research Realiser 8 also does 7.1 Surround to Stereo Headphone playback.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2016-day-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/323219/smyth-svs-realiser-virtual-surround-technology-for-headphones

Dear All

Regards

Chucky

I am ALL OVER a modern set of of quad headphones. Or is it stereo headphones jacks that lead to a SM headphone that decodes or simulates quad?

Either way, I'm in.

Back