Involve encoding....best practices?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also using the Involve encoder, working from SACD and DVD-A sources. My Pioneer SACD/DAV-A player's multichannel outputs connect directly to the encoder's inputs. The output goes to my Sony CD recorder. The CD recorder feeds the SM. The encoder is set to the "Smart encode" mode. My results? If you didn't know better, you'd swear it was discrete. The discs are for my own use, mainly for play in the car. The encoding creates a wider stereo image which, in a smaller car, sounds excellent.

I have a similar setup at home with my computer, and also can't tell the difference when using Smart Encode. Works great for stereo sources, doesn't touch them on the encode and playing games with 4 channel surround come out perfectly.

This is my audio workflow.

PC 4 Channel Out (x-fi titanium sound card with all virtualizes etc turned OFF) --> Involve Encoder (Smart Encode) --> Involve Decoder (Surround Master) --> Amp & Active Woofer --> FL, FR, RL, RR Speakers

I found Involve Smart Encode works better at keeping Stereo sources like music being reproduced better. I tried the dumb encode and that worked great for 4-channel sources but the stereo source files came out with a reduced frontal image and the rears were barely there. With Smart Encode I find I get the full Invovle Decode experience, tested this with Money encoded in Involve Smart Encode then put through the system above and it sound the same as if the stereo encode was put straight into the surround master.

I've also got Reaper, I might give reasurround a shot sometime.

I have a similar setup at home with my computer, and also can't tell the difference when using Smart Encode. Works great for stereo sources, doesn't touch them on the encode and playing games with 4 channel surround come out perfectly.

This is my audio workflow.

PC 4 Channel Out (x-fi titanium sound card with all virtualizes etc turned OFF) --> Involve Encoder (Smart Encode) --> Involve Decoder (Surround Master) --> Amp & Active Woofer --> FL, FR, RL, RR Speakers

I found Involve Smart Encode works better at keeping Stereo sources like music being reproduced better. I tried the dumb encode and that worked great for 4-channel sources but the stereo source files came out with a reduced frontal image and the rears were barely there. With Smart Encode I find I get the full Invovle Decode experience, tested this with Money encoded in Involve Smart Encode then put through the system above and it sound the same as if the stereo encode was put straight into the surround master.

I've also got Reaper, I might give reasurround a shot sometime.
Just to be open for those who don't know Chris, he is our mechanical and product design engineer at Involve. His comments really are unbiased!

Regards

Chucky

Just to be open for those who don't know Chris, he is our mechanical and product design engineer at Involve. His comments really are unbiased!

Regards

Chucky
And I can verify what he says! I did an encode of the BD-A of DSOTM, the Parsons mix. I also have the QS LP from Japan. The encode from the BD-A sounds way better!

Back