Is Mike Oldfield’s Crisis Superdeluxe Box worth paying for to get the 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabwylie1968

Over the last few months I’ve bought and ripped all (I think) MO 5.1 with the excetion of Crisis , for this you have to pay >£120 . I would probably buy/rip/sell , however will I go through all this for something worth having ?

I think the 5.1 is awful but thats a personal opinion based on the fact that I have loved the album since it came out, particularly the title track.

Like many of his other remixes it suffers (IMHO) by containing bizarre and unwarrented differences to the original stereo mix which to me make it almost unlistenable. Again this is most evidenced on the title track.

I bought the boxset when it was released and have only managed to sit through the 5.1 about 3 times since then, and I love the original. I have even considered selling my set as I just don't play it. Frankly, I think the remix of Crises the track is an abomination, particularly the section just after the 'the watcher and the tower', which now contains a dominant and cheesy drum machine part. This for me is the most egregious example as it was always one of my favourite sections.

So if you love the original mix I would say avoid unless you can get over the differences. If you're not so familiar with the album you may find it ok.

Side two is not so bad, certainly fewer changes, but I never listened to that as much as the title track anyway.

R

Over the last few months I’ve bought and ripped all (I think) MO 5.1 with the excetion of Crisis , for this you have to pay >£120 . I would probably buy/rip/sell , however will I go through all this for something worth having ?

It depends on how much you can find it for.
I got very lucky last year (after years of waiting) and found it in basically like new condition on eBay for around $110 (and that included shipping) so for me, at that price, getting the set was totally worth it.
I love the fact that this release along with "Five Miles Out" and "Discovery" all have DTS audio, because Mike's first four surround releases on DVD had Dolby audio only.

:)

I kind of like the fact that different elements are brought in to the 5.1 mixes making them very different to the stereo originals.
If you want a Steven Wilson mix based on a recreation of the original stereo then its not going to be for you.
If you want a brand new mix based on what's on the tapes seemingly mixed by someone who has never heard the album then this is it.

I enjoy Mike's 5.1 mix on this , if you want the original mix the normal CD is pretty cheap to get hold of, I personally like Mike's approach to remixing his catalogue

Back