Joe Bonamassa Beacon Theater Live From New York Blu Ray DTS HD MA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I love this guy's playing! Truly one of the finest guitarist's out there today - and pretty damn prolific too! Besides his solo work, he has his "supergroup," Black Country Communion with Deep Purple's Glenn Hughes and rock progeny Jason Bonham. Not only that, but he's a really nice guy with a very humble, yet articulate perspective on guitar playing and players. Unfortunately, on this disc, his sound guy/mixer/producer (Kevin Shirley) is deeply in love with reverb and digital delay - so much so that his singing (which is quite good IMO) is unintelligible and the band (also quite good) is a big mush. The only time there is a sense of any dynamics whatsoever is during the few downtempo numbers - but even then, the delay effect is almost comical - and it's not the venue - I have personally attended many a show at the Beacon and can say unequivocally that the live sound there is stellar. Despite the crappy sound, there appears to be wonderful performances from guests Beth Hart, John Hiatt and Paul Rogers.

After the dismal sound of his previous BD disc, "Live At Royal Albert Hall," https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?13164-Joe-Bonamassa-live-BR-disc&p=125376&highlight=bonamassa#post125376 I was cautiously optimistic that this time they would somehow get it right - wrong! I tried playing this really loud, soft - every which way - I thought that maybe my amp was f**ked - but...at the end of the day, it's just a really bad mix.

Still, if you have not had the chance to hear Joe play - you should - his latest release on CD, "Dust Bowl," is an excellent intro to his playing and very worthwhile - even in plain old stereo 16/44.

I remember seeing him on PBS not long ago. It was likely the same show as the blu-ray. John Hiatt was the main reason I stayed tuned in but yes Joe put on a great show. Making a great recording of a live performance often seems to be beyond reach.

I've seen Joe live, five times, all phenomenal performances. I really like the "Live at Royal Albert Hall", but as elmer points out, the sound quality leaves something to be desired. When I saw his new release was to be on BD, I too was hopeful for a sonic upgrade. I will probably still buy it just because I'm a fan, but what a buzz kill.

DennisMabry;145332... but what a buzz kill.[/QUOTE said:
Sorry Dennis - I really wanted to like this - was hoping that someone else had this and would tell me I'm crazy. I don't know if you've heard the Black Country Communion BD disc but from the little I've heard, it suffers from similar problems.

I saw him in Madrid a short while ago. A great guitarist and equally great artist. The acoustic part of the concert was one of the things that inspired me to getting a handmade Takamine last week :)

I watched this Blu ray recently and didn't hear the mush[at least all that much] or the delay problems on my system.[sounded quite good btw]

Last edited:
I watched this Blu ray recently and didn't hear the mush or the delay problems on my system.[sounded quite good btw]

Well then I must be crazy! ;) - I listened again this morning and it still sounded pretty bad to me - but good for you - enjoy! I worked a soundboard for several years in all types of venues and I hated it when the soundguy before me made his band sound like it was playing in a canyon - more work for me to get the setting right - reverb and delay are great tools when used correctly - but are very difficult to tame in a live setting. Personal preferences I guess...

Back