SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not complaining but no change in shipping updates. I guess us Canadians are going to have to place larger orders to get that bag full sooner!
According to the posts on the internet it could stay in that status and you will have the box in your hands. Another site I use to check statuses says that according to similar packages sourced from DHL, it could be in our mailboxes by Monday.

There but for the grace of God go we all. And heavy smoking does not help. Still, I prefer to focus on what she is rather than what she isn't. She's a living legend!
I prefer to focus on what she was. None of us over 70 are what we were. Those that think so may be in for a rude awakening at a moments notice.

Joni, Man she looks old!
Very happy I didn't age like that :p
You probably haven't had her health problems.
Even worse, I went BLIND :eek:
There but for the grace of God go we all. And heavy smoking does not help. Still, I prefer to focus on what she is rather than what she isn't.

Indeed. She started at age nine, the same year she was hospitalized with polio, which surely also has had a lasting effect.

I prefer to focus on what she was. None of us over 70 are what we were. Those that think so may be in for a rude awakening at a moments notice.
I'm 73, soon to be 74 and one thing I'm really glad I didn't lose was my sense of humor.
MY GOD people, it was a joke.
foghorn flewby.jpg

Joni, Man she looks old!
Very happy I didn't age like that :p
I'm, happy too, and often told I look over ten years younger than I am, but I hope that I don't have a brain aneurysm that requires me to have to relearn to walk and talk.

There but for the grace of God go we all. And heavy smoking does not help. Still, I prefer to focus on what she is rather than what she isn't. She's a living legend!
I had read she have up smoking quite a while back. Why did she start up again?

Not to diminish anyone's shipping pain, but the Joni Quadio shipped on Friday, arrived on Tuesday, listened to on Wednesday, died and gone to heaven ever since. Whoever made this happen at Rhino, you should be sainted. The "Court" and "Hissing" quads in particular are so clean and textured, it's like listening to aural sculptures. Ya, Ya, business and all, but these are beyond my heady expectations.
Those are the two I'm diving into first when I get my set. Love period mixes when they are this well done.

I'm so glad the current A&R staff at Rhino are doing these reissue releases with the quad masters. I'm also grateful that the tapes have been stored, preserved, and cataloged so well. We've not heard about one one case where the Warner quad master tapes are now just gone.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I have never been that much of a Joni Mitchell fan. Two reasons I think:
1. Her voice is too perfect.
2. Her voice is on the high register side, which sometimes bugs me.
That said.
This Rhino Quadio box set has turned me into a bigger fan. I listened to all 4 albums in the 4.0 versions, stunning, not so much for her voice but how well the band is and how well I can hear everything unfold into it's own beauty.
I have not yet listened to the Atmos, I will of course but I think pretty hard to beat these 4 quads.

This is the exact reason that surround sound can turn someone like me around and open my life to more diversity.

I love her voice , and I think she can really wail !, when it matters in her tunes.

Awaiting patiently for my box set.Oh well what can you do.

Awhile back somehow it was inferred double album sets for CD-4 were a problem or something similar.

MJQ had no problem with a double CD-4, and even better was Allman Brothers At Fillmore East...a truly amazing experience.

That Joni's double didn't happen had more to do with timing , I think anyway.

Yes I love those Canadian wonder women , like Margo Timmins , Shania Twain , Joni (the legend) Mitchell , and Alanis Morissette....and today Alanis arrived, yay . Sounds pretty good , thanks Steve , and Rhino , can't wait to hear Joni Mitchell's quads. Two of which I just adore.

Anyway got more music to listen to.....so enjoy your Friday everyone.

I'm 73, soon to be 74 and one thing I'm really glad I didn't lose was my sense of humor.
MY GOD people, it was a joke.
I don't doubt that your comment was a joke, but one never knows who might be reading these threads. Once upon a time Joni was a beautiful young woman, and it is impossible to deny that she has aged out of that. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt to read an unkind comment about her current appearance now. Remember that unkind internet comments contributed to the early demise of Keith Emerson. I'm not trying to shame you or anything - just sayin that kind of personal critique of appearance is not necessary. It has nothing to do with her music. I'm sorry to be the one to call it out. I'm just trying to come from a place of empathy. Plus I thought the beauty of her delight shone through at Newport!

For me the Quad masters are basically what I really wanted, hoping the ATMOS mixes which are streaming sound a bit better here on physical disc. Good potential for being surprised.

Once upon a time Joni was a beautiful young woman, and it is impossible to deny that she has aged out of that. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt to read an unkind comment about her current appearance now. Remember that unkind internet comments contributed to the early demise of Keith Emerson. I'm not trying to shame you or anything -
Once upon a time I was a handsome young man, at 74 not so much any more.
I"m not shamed in the least for being able to laugh at myself or the ways of the world.
I'm sad for anyone that would take this life seriously.
Think about it.
Nuff said

Once upon a time I was a handsome young man, at 74 not so much any more.
I"m not shamed in the least for being able to laugh at myself or the ways of the world.
I'm sad for anyone that would take this life seriously.
Think about it.
Nuff said
Yeah, it's all just a simulation anyway. ;)

I am guessing there are no "Your item has shipped" emails coming.....at least I have not received one.
I received a shipping notification email from Rhino, which included a FedEx tracking number. Unfortunately my shipment got stuck somewhere in the Midwest due to weather and will arrive 4 days later than expected. Was hoping this would be a Joni weekend, but it will have to wait till next weekend.

My copy of Joni's The Asylum Years arrived this morning. As I expected, Joni Mitchell's albums sound fantastic in surround (without too many changes in their original mixes). Hoping that Rhino comes through for everyone on this site who ordered one.

PS: I hope Rhino does a similiar Quadio Box for Joni's Asylum LPs from 1976 thru 1980!

Last edited:
I love her voice , and I think she can really wail !, when it matters in her tunes.

Awaiting patiently for my box set.Oh well what can you do.

Awhile back somehow it was inferred double album sets for CD-4 were a problem or something similar.

MJQ had no problem with a double CD-4, and even better was Allman Brothers At Fillmore East...a truly amazing experience.

That Joni's double didn't happen had more to do with timing , I think anyway.

Yes I love those Canadian wonder women , like Margo Timmins , Shania Twain , Joni (the legend) Mitchell , and Alanis Morissette....and today Alanis arrived, yay . Sounds pretty good , thanks Steve , and Rhino , can't wait to hear Joni Mitchell's quads. Two of which I just adore.

Anyway got more music to listen to.....so enjoy your Friday everyone.
Another Canadian with an amazing voice..

Back