SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got shipping notification on 4/22/2024 with a UPS tracking number - but as of 4/30/2024 UPS says it has no record of receiving package. I have contacted RHINO twice - and both times they say the package has shipped - but no package. I have even tried their tracking number with USPS, FEDEX, and DHL - and nothing. This is becoming a common occurrence for me with RHINO - on about half the items I order. Does anyone have a phone number for RHINO that I can contact?

Does anyone know how to make a Marantz AVR behave like this (duplicate the surrounds in the rears) with all four channel recordings? I like the way it sounded with the rears playing as well as the surrounds. In the case of For The Roses, it added just the right sense of space to the rear soundstage.
Marantz and Denon are more or less the same company, on my Denon if I hit the music button it gives options on how to play whatever disc you’re listening to, ie. dts-neural, dolby digital + etc, hopefully yours will be the same, but if you don’t want to increase the speakers from then on you’ll need to hit “pure” or hit music again and click on the dts-hd ma option

May I ask how you are ripping these? I've ripped using MakeMKV, but DVDAE won't extract because of BD+ (I did check the box). Looking to make Multichannel FLACS for roon
MakeMKV will create MKV files. You're almost there. Now use MMH (Music Media Helper) to extract FLAC Files from the MKV Files. Once you open MMH you'll want to go to the "Audio Tools" section and select "Extract Audio from MKV". From here you can create FLAC files.

Release date is June 21st. Maybe we'll at least get Atmos mixes on the streaming services? @ForagingRhino , any idea if that's happening?

Hejira is probably my favorite Joni album. Would love an Atmos mix. Some great work from Jako Pastorius on that one. And then the Shadows and Light live album features Jako, Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, MIchael Brecker and Don Alias.....killer line-up.

Has no-one posted about the new Asylum box set from 1976-1980? No mention of quads, just vinyl and CDs:

HEJIRA (1976), DON JUAN’S RECKLESS DAUGHTER (1977), MINGUS (1979), and the live album SHADOWS AND LIGHT (1980)

Joni's Store
Rhino store
I just found out about Joni's latest box set covering 1976 thru 1980. While there is no mention of surround or quad sound at this time, it will probably come a year (or two) later. Fingers Crossed.

PS: Here's an article with more details about the upcoming Asylum Box Box Set from The Second Disc.com site.
https://theseconddisc.com/2024/04/3...-the-asylum-albums-1976-1980-arrives-in-june/

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip; I'm using a Mac tho....

I'm on a Mac. I just used MakeMKV to make a backup, then opened the backup with DVDAE. Worked just fine like every other blu-ray I've done. (Make sure you eject the disk before you go to open the backup or it will open the disc itself which won't work).

Mine arrived, no additional costs :LB

Its Joni, it can't sit on the to-listen-to mountain! So listened to "For The Roses" in Atmos & Quad, the sound quality is tremendous, the audio selection is a bit cumbersome, but did get it to play Atmos, Quad and then first track in stereo (which after Quad & Atmos seems kind of flat!).

I've never owned "Miles for Aisles" so that will be interesting to listen to. One of my top 10 favourite albums is "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns", so over the moon to have it in pristine Quad and Atmos.

Huge thanks to @ForagingRhino and the team ................ can we have the rest in Atmos on Blu-rays?

Release date is June 21st. Maybe we'll at least get Atmos mixes on the streaming services? @ForagingRhino , any idea if that's happening?

Hejira is probably my favorite Joni album. Would love an Atmos mix. Some great work from Jako Pastorius on that one. And then the Shadows and Light live album features Jako, Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, MIchael Brecker and Don Alias.....killer line-up.
Not aware of Atmos mixes for Asylum box #2.

Not aware of Atmos mixes for Asylum box #2.

Yeah, we were spoiled by this amazing set. More than I ever would have expected.

Don't suppose you could commission Botnick to do quad mixes for the next four like you did for For the Roses???

I imagine that wouldn't be cost-effective, but it's nice to dream...

Shadows and Light with a mix like Miles of Aisles would be incredible!!!

Thanks so much for making this set happen. Absolutely sublime!!!

Landed in the Uk, again for me no taxes or fees
Not so lucky in Canada. Despite being charged upfront for Canadian taxes by Rhino, I'm notified that upon delivery tomorrow, I will need to pay again ($24.18). This also happened with Quadio bundle 2 and I had thrown away the customs invoice before I found out Rhino would refund if you send proof. What a nuisance

Last edited:
Not so lucky in Canada. Despite being charged upfront for Canadian taxes by Rhino, I'm notified that upon delivery tomorrow, I will need to pay again ($24.18). This also happened with Quadio bundle 1 and I had thrown away the customs invoice before I found out Rhino would refund if you send proof. What a nuisance
Where did you receive this notice? I have received nothing.

Back