SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi - looking to learn more about these QUAD releases and their source -

So far - I found 2 of these albums listed in the Quad Discography and Discogs.com...
JONI MITCHELL -
Court & Spark. Asylum EQ-1001 (CD4), 8Q-1001 (Q8)
The Hissing of Summer Lawns. Asylum EQ-1051 (CD4), 8Q-1051 (Q8)

So for the remaining TWO -
Was the FOR THE ROSES quad mix listed as "A brand new 2023 Quad Mix of FOR THE ROSES was done by Bruce Botnick" never before created in the 70s, OR created yet unreleased, OR actually released in QUAD in the 70s ?
Same with MILES & AISLES live....

Looking for more history on these 2 QUAD releases!

thanks!
Definitely lacking a booklet here.

I'm undecided if to buy this or not. I'd prefer to listen to Hejira in multichannel (Jaco is still my hero)
This set contains some exceptional sounding audio not even considering the fine music. I’m an analog era fan and hear that tech at its finest here.

So one can find this worth owning for those two good reasons as well as the price which works out really well. If you like Joni at all then this is a must.

Last edited:
This set contains some exceptional sounding audio not even considering the fine music. I’m an analog era fan and hear that tech at its finest here.

So one can find this worth owning for those two good reasons as well as the price works out really well. If you like Joni at all then this is a must.
Yes yes i do know the material

Definitely lacking a booklet here.
I have not bought it yet so no booklet : ) - but I got my answer from someone else who was being helpful -

Brand new 4.0 mix for For the Roses,
and a previously unreleased 4.0 mix Miles of Aisles

“For The Roses” in 4.0 sounds so amazing from a fidelity standpoint. Lovely warmth from the low end and such clarity too. The hit Free Man in Paris is still a standout track here.

If you've been hesitating on buying the Joni quad/Atmos box due to price: the Rhino store is currently offering free shipping for orders over $50, as part of their Memorial Day sale. I just ordered the Joni set using the promo code CC24WMX15 for 15% off, bringing the price down to $67.98 plus tax, with free shipping. I had been waiting for the set to be released to discount retailers in late July, but took the plunge at this price point.

This came up on the Discounts thread, but thought I'd mention it here for those that weren't aware.

If you've been hesitating on buying the Joni quad/Atmos box due to price: the Rhino store is currently offering free shipping for orders over $50, as part of their Memorial Day sale. I just ordered the Joni set using the promo code CC24WMX15 for 15% off, bringing the price down to $67.98 plus tax, with free shipping. I had been waiting for the set to be released to discount retailers in late July, but took the plunge at this price point.

This came up on the Discounts thread, but thought I'd mention it here for those that weren't aware.
If that don't kick a few "sold" Joni box sets over the fence then nothing will.

n
Hi - looking to learn more about these QUAD releases and their source -

So far - I found 2 of these albums listed in the Quad Discography and Discogs.com...
JONI MITCHELL -
Court & Spark. Asylum EQ-1001 (CD4), 8Q-1001 (Q8)
The Hissing of Summer Lawns. Asylum EQ-1051 (CD4), 8Q-1051 (Q8)

So for the remaining TWO -
Was the FOR THE ROSES quad mix listed as "A brand new 2023 Quad Mix of FOR THE ROSES was done by Bruce Botnick" never before created in the 70s, OR created yet unreleased, OR actually released in QUAD in the 70s ?
Same with MILES & AISLES live....

Looking for more history on these 2 QUAD releases!

thanks!
Maybe this review helps?
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/jon...EMAIL_ID]&mc_cid=f0a1792ca7&mc_eid=de829e174d

Hejira, Mingus, Shadows & Light are all high on the list of must haves. Fingers crossed they are in the next run of Joni releases
Hear Hear ! I would gladly get anything Joni. In addition, Blue, Wild Things Run Fast, Night Ride Home, Chalk Mark, anything that comes to mind. Imagine Both sides now...

Hi there. I bought from Europe. I just had to add the shipping price (box + shipping : $ 97) and 23 euros of VAT (which makes the box pretty costly)
Thanks, but my experience with the first batch of quadios was quite bad (separate shipments, shoddy tracking, broken cases..). As there's a possibility to get them from a "local" supplier, I'd rather wait this time.

Hejira, Mingus, Shadows & Light are all high on the list of must haves. Fingers crossed they are in the next run of Joni releases
Hejira, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, Mingus, and Shadows & Light are indeed what's included in The Asylum Years 1976-1980, and Archives Vol. 4 will also center on the period of those albums. My favorite stretch of Joni's career, too. I believe @ForagingRhino has already said that he's unaware of any plans for Atmos mixes, however. :( Doesn't mean Joni couldn't eventually change her mind, I suppose....

Not to pick on you or anyone else but , I have to chuckle when I read posts like yours and others like it. I waited for years, hoping against hope that Court and Spark and. “Hissing…” would eventually see the light in day in digital disc format. Now that they finally arrived with extras to boot, Joni fans(myself included) are dreaming about the possibility of more Joni in surround. All I can say is, it’s a long, long way from Canada!

The more I listen, the more I love this.

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpeg
    IMG_1060.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
The more I listen, the more I love this.
I love the sound of this album as it plays on BR disc on my 4.0 playback. I just wish that it had a touch more discreetness to some of the parts of instrumental backing (like C&S). But I just stood there staring at my speaker when I was playing it thinking of how really great the sound quality is. I was wondering if it was an analog mix and then mastered to 24/192kHz digital after?

Last edited:
Back