Joni Mitchell's Blue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s an interesting anecdote. Joni and Carole King were recording album tracks in adjoining studios that happened to belong to A&M records, as it were. Joni preferred the piano in one studio so that was the one she chose, leaving Carole to record in the one other one. Joni’s sessions produced “Blue,” while Carole’s sessions produced “Tapestry.”

Well I just finished playing my absolutely beyond EXQUISITE WarnerJapan UHQ MQA version of BLUE on my NEW system fully unfolded and according to my video screen at 176.4kHz/24 bit resolution.

To say I was right in the studio with Joni is an understatement and the secret of this recording ...keep it at a moderate playback level and you will be rewarded with sheer perfection. Blows away the HDCD version and any other version I have! Every nuance of this amazing recording was audible down to the decay of the guitar and piano at the conclusion of songs.

And I'll come right out and say it ....doubtful if even a Rhino BD~A Stereo 192/24 could better this MQA Japanese version.

With such sparse instrumentation, it would be difficult to imagine if a QUAD remaster would vastly improve this recording ...... but I only wish RHINO would release all her early Reprise albums in Stereo 192/24 on BD~A....at the very least!

Talk about a pretty comprehensive QUADIO/STEREO Joni Mitchell box set! The woman deserves it...and so do WE!

PHOTOS: Joni Mitchell Through the Years | abc7chicago.com

Last edited:
I invested in the Mofi OneStep of "Blue" and try as I might, I just can't get into the album. I bought it simply because of all the high praise as I have with many others, but nothing. Have listened to it three times and cannot wait for it to be over. The high notes just grate on me, can't find any catchy passages either. Probably "California" being the only one causing me to take notice. It seems almost blasphemous to say anything bad about it. Am I the only one?

Doesn't matter how universally loved a piece of music might be, we all connect differently and if it doesn't move you, it just doesn't. Nothing wrong with you nor blasphemous to tell your truth. As long as you gave it a shot, move on to something you connect with- no worries.

That being said, you may want to revisit it after a year or two has passed- that LP certainly wasn't cheap- just to see if it resonates with the you you will become. But whether you do or not, there's absolutely no right or wrong in what music we enjoy or don't.

I invested in the Mofi OneStep of "Blue" and try as I might, I just can't get into the album. I bought it simply because of all the high praise as I have with many others, but nothing. Have listened to it three times and cannot wait for it to be over. The high notes just grate on me, can't find any catchy passages either. Probably "California" being the only one causing me to take notice. It seems almost blasphemous to say anything bad about it. Am I the only one?
Honestly, I felt the same way as you the first few times through but I’m coming around on it. I believe the primary reason it’s considered a masterpiece is the lyrics and the stark instrumentation. She’s kind of putting her soul out there for everyone to see. It doesn’t resonate with everyone. I personally prefer her mid to late 70s albums when she sang in a lower register and added Jaco’s brilliant bass work. But like I said, I’m coming around to Blue.

TBH, I was already a minor fan of her first few albums after hearing a couple of her songs performed on Judy Collins’s Wildflowers album. Those first three albums, however, in no way prepared me for Blue, an album that many people consider to be her masterpiece.

The cigarettes eventually caught up with her and lowered her vocal register. She and Jaco, of course, were a revelation together. And then there’s Shadows And Light, the live album with Jaco, Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays (or Miles Of Aisles, the live album with the LA Express, featuring Robben Ford on guitar).

Maybe 7 years back I was fortunate enough to score a copy of Both Sides Now in surround sound on which her now contralto voice lent even more gravity to the title track. Yeah, I’m a fan.

No you are not the only one.
I was going to say this on a couple of occasions but decided not to based on how revered she is on this website.... I've never been able to see what others see in her. I just don't get it. In all fairness, I really haven't listened to much beyond tracks that get played on the radio, but I just feel like the guy in "The Emperor's New Clothes" who was the only one that couldn't see. For the record I feel the same way about James Taylor. Every time someone wishes for one of their Quads in the next batch I just think, "I hope not".

I'll probably still get them when the Quadios come just to satisfy the completest in me.

Well I just finished playing my absolutely beyond EXQUISITE WarnerJapan UHQ MQA version of BLUE on my NEW system fully unfolded and according to my video screen at 176.4kHz/24 bit resolution.

To say I was right in the studio with Joni is an understatement and the secret of this recoding ...keep it at a moderate playback level and you will be rewarded with sheer perfection. Blows away the HDCD version and any other version I have! Every nuance of this amazing recording was audible down to the decay of the guitar and piano at the conclusion of songs.

And I'll come right out and say it ....doubtful if even a Rhino BD~A Stereo 192/24 could better this MQA Japanese version.

With such sparse instrumentation, it would be difficult to imagine if a QUAD remaster would vastly improve this recording ...... but I only wish RHINO would release all her early Reprise albums in Stereo 192/24 on BD~A....at the very least!

Talk about pretty comprehensive QUADIO/STEREO Joni Mitchell box set! The woman deserves it...and so do WE!

PHOTOS: Joni Mitchell Through the Years | abc7chicago.com

I have the 24/192 download from HDTracks. I'm guessing that yours is better and even better still on your system, Ralphie. I guess I have the Mo' Better Blues(the mo' better is mo' better!).

When I first heard her, I thought her voice was squeaky. I thought some of her songs weren’t musical or had cheap or lazy elements in them. While she’s still far from being my favorite female artist, she’s grown on me over the years, especially since my wife got me to go to one of the concerts at the Universal Amphitheater that sourced “Miles of Aisles.”

No telling what the future will bring, but to avoid spending money on stuff that doesn’t ring your bell, I’d suggest previewing the album on YouTube or some other streaming service if younhave them.

Back