Just re-found old quad r2r tapes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgate

300 Club - QQ All-Star
back in '73 whilst stationed in tokyo in the us army, i got the hifi bug.
i purchased a pioneer 4 channel amp/ sony 4 channel r2r recorder, and of course 4 ar 6 speakers. also a tt and cassette deck.

while i bought a few quad tapes, i also managed to copy a few others from friends using their quad r2rs and dubbing to mine.
anyway, 3 (plus a bunch of stereo r2r tapes) of them have been in storage since at least '91, i then forgot about them until today while looking around in my dads old barn.
they were in original maxell boxes and wrapped in plastic
i just got 'em home, havent played them yet. i have a new degausser coming wed, so i may wait til then.
titles:
original movie soundtrack-'sound of music'.
the guess who-'canned wheat'.
'stolen goods-gems lifted from the masters'.-sourced from cd-4 lp/demodulator played on a pan. tt (?). i forget what that stuff was or what it did.

nowhere near the sq of the original tapes/cd-4 lp but they'll have to do for now.

all copied in '73. hope the oxide doesnt come off on 1st pass.

dont know if i can wait...

Last edited:
If they're on Maxell, they're probably fine. Let us know how they work out.

I have old 10 1/2" reels I recorded from Q8 and QLP back in the '70s, and they still play fine. They're TDK's and Maxells. From what I understand, it's the ampex tapes that are a problem.

they're on 'audiotape' brand, 7" reels, mylar.
i haven't played the the quad tapes yet but i also used to copy stereo lps back then onto this stuff and the sound quality of 'audiotape' was the best i had ever heard, excellent highs, very transparent, good transients, etc., even at 3.75 ips.

Back