Kendun Studios ,Quad Mastering ,and SQ Encoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
How Kent Duncan acquired his SQ Encoder from CBS for Kendun Studios ?

This story is relayed by Rod McKuen.(Stanyan Records)

" Kendun's Best Friend."
" Rod Mckuen comments on Kent Duncan's deal with CBS ." ...They produce a great deal of Quadraphonic material on the Stanyan label...
..Kendun was the first independent Studio to have the Encoder. Kent worked out a deal with Columbia so he could use the Encoder , and in return Columbia got use of free testing of the system. "

Interesting to note there is an article in Billboard, May 06th ,1978 regarding the above.page 76.

" The Jazz Producers Of the World...
Also there is a picture of Ed Michel and Eric Miller at work at Kendun. The Studio is known as Kendun Mastering and Seirra Audio Studio. "

I think it's kinda cool that Kendun got free use of an SQ Encoder under those circumstances 😀 .

Interesting to note there is an article in Billboard, May 06th ,1978 regarding the above.page 76.

" The Jazz Producers Of the World...
Also there is a picture of Ed Michel and Eric Miller at work at Kendun. The Studio is known as Kendun Mastering and Seirra Audio Studio. "

I think it's kinda cool that Kendun got free use of an SQ Encoder under those circumstances 😀 .
Ed Michel did some great quad production. Space Is The Place come to mind....

Ed Michel did some great quad production. Space Is The Place come to mind....

Further on down the road ,I found some more notable information regarding Ed Michel.

There is a picture of Ed Michel and Alice Coltrane at Berkeley Studios, where they are working on her 2 album set to be released by Warner Brothers. And an interview with Ed Michel ....

" Says he produced 400 LPS and worked on another 400 . He is now working for Galaxy Records (Fantasy) and John Snyder's Artists House label. "

(BB JULY 01 1978 PG 54)

Back