• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Kenwood KR-9940 RM/SQ circuit board

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance7489

I'm looking for the RM/SQ circuit board for a Kenwood KR-9940. Anyone have any scrap units that they are parting out ? The board is very accessible. It's right on top when you open the unit up.

Thanks !!

I'm looking for the RM/SQ circuit board for a Kenwood KR-9940. Anyone have any scrap units that they are parting out ? The board is very accessible. It's right on top when you open the unit up.

Thanks !!
Just out of curiosity, why?
I want to recap the decoder boards on my kenwoods but external decoders are much better so the need isn't really great.

Just out of curiosity, why?
I want to recap the decoder boards on my kenwoods but external decoders are much better so the need isn't really great.
I like the RM mode with regular stereo sources in the Kenwood. As far as the SQ, your correct. I have a Involve Surround master that's great with SQ. I got my hands on a really clean KR-9940 that I'm restoring & I want everything to work on it, even if I' m not going to use it.

I like the RM mode with regular stereo sources in the Kenwood. As far as the SQ, your correct. I have a Involve Surround master that's great with SQ. I got my hands on a really clean KR-9940 that I'm restoring & I want everything to work on it, even if I' m not going to use it.
I think your best option is to recap the decoder board you already have(unless its missing?), one pulled from another receiver is also likely to be in need of recapping. Both of my Kenwood 9940s have the same crackling noise in the RM/SQ mode for a couple minutes until warmed up but not in the Discrete and CD-4 modes. I imagine most/all of the Kenwoods receivers develope this same noise in the decoder just due to aging. I'll likely sell one of them once I recap the decoder board(eventually....)

I think your best option is to recap the decoder board you already have(unless its missing?), one pulled from another receiver is also likely to be in need of recapping. Both of my Kenwood 9940s have the same crackling noise in the RM/SQ mode for a couple minutes until warmed up but not in the Discrete and CD-4 modes. I imagine most/all of the Kenwoods receivers develope this same noise in the decoder just due to aging. I'll likely sell one of them once I recap the decoder board(eventually....)
The problem with my decoder board is that in SQ, only the rear channels work & in RM, both the front left & rear left channel levels are low. Where can you get a cap kit for the decoder board ?? In stereo & discreet modes, all channels are equal & sound GREAT !!!

The problem with my decoder board is that in SQ, only the rear channels work & in RM, both the front left & rear left channel levels are low. Where can you get a cap kit for the decoder board ?? In stereo & discreet modes, all channels are equal & sound GREAT !!!
Who needs a kit, just check the schematic and order replacements. There are many sellers such as Digi-Key and Mouser or eBay. The problem might not be just capacitors though.

Who needs a kit, just check the schematic and order replacements. There are many sellers such as Digi-Key and Mouser or eBay. The problem might not be just capacitors though.
That's why I'd rather just replace the board. It's right on top & very easy to remove. Mine looks very "oxidized" & may not be a good candidate for just a re-cap. I'm dropping the whole unit of tomorrow to my "tech" (local stereo repair shop Precision Audio). Jeff's been servicing equipment for at least 35 years.

Back