HiRez Poll KING CRIMSON - EARTHBOUND [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of King Crimson - EARTHBOUND

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Did you get that sudden gap of silence in the middle of it somewhere? Always wondered if my copy, which has that, is faulty. Otherwise, why do that! It spoilt it a little for me.

Yeah...mine does that too.
What that most probably really means is that nobody actually checked the bounced audio file before it was sent off for DVD duplication. ( I mastered albums for 20 years...so am aware of the pitfalls !)
Or it could actually be a tape dropout, but they left it in because the rest of that particular performance was great.

Last edited:
Disclaimers - I have the CD/DVD-V set, not the Blu-ray from the Sailor's Tale box set. The album was totally new to me, and I don't have the related releases Ladies of the Road or Summit Studios.

Upsides: The Summit Studios tracks sound great both in Stereo and in quad. The Summit Tracks sound near perfect and the performances are strong. On my setup, the banter between Summit tracks is very quiet compared to the songs. The Schizoid men tracks are an interesting and engaging series. These bits are in heavy rotation in the car (stereo) and at home (quad).

Downsides: Just as it was advertised, the CD is near bootleg quality. It's a painful listen compared to the Summit Studios tracks. I do not plan to put the cd in heavy rotation. The "new sequence stereo" of the Earthbound album on the DVD is fine, albeit with the same sonic limitations of the cd. There is an extended version of "Sailor's Tale" from Jacksonville that should have been left unextended. The drum solo sounds terrible and is terrible. It's like listening to "The Grand Vizier's Garden Party" from Pink Floyds's Electric Moo played at full blast while inside a tin shed.

That being said, I think this is a must buy. At this price, the Summit Studios alone would have been sufficient. This is a really cool document of that time and I'm not sure what else there is at this quality. Looking for other really high quality shows from this lineup sent me back to the Zoom Club shows of April 1971, many months before Islands was recorded and released.

I'm very happy with this purchase compared to some giant box sets with only three discs that recently came out.

Sound quality 5 for CD/Earthbound tracks, 9 for Summit Studios
Value: 10
Packaging: 10 (compact package with a lot goodies rates high for me)
Historic value: 10
Overall vote: 9
I completely agree with this review. I was going to give an 8, but indeed the historic value should count. I also have the CD/DVD-V.
The only thing I have to add is that the Quad mix is more like a "big stereo" or "u-shaped stereo" kind of mix, nothing flashy but very pleasant to me, and an improvement over 2 channel version.

Back