Kodi Mini-Topics: Intro

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PK

900 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I recently started using a media player (thanks to the HomerJAU guides and support) and thought we could use some threads for Kodi users to discuss, ask questions, and show how you’re using Kodi. Each thread will cover a small aspect of using and configuring Kodi so I call them Mini-Topics. I’ll post about what I’ve been able to pick up about the topic along with my questions. Hopefully it might help other new users as well as get input from more experienced users :)

“CTRL+S” is your friend so show us your Kodi! :ROFLMAO:

Versions
I’m using Leia 18.6, LibreELEC, and Aeon Nox Silvo 7.0.9…
1592262718181.png

Current Mini-Topic List

Upcoming Mini-Topics
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Settings
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Window Names and ID’s
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Standard and Custom Nodes
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Side Blade and Context Menus
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Artist Slideshow
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Scrapers, Artwork, Logos
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Add Ons
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Advanced Settings XML File
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Built In Functions, Window ID’s, Action ID’s
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Userdata Folder, Settings Backup
  • Kodi Mini-Topic: Updates

Links:

QQ Installing Aeon Nox: Silvo
QQ Kodi Skins
QQ How to Set Up Intel NUC for Kodi

Kodi Website
Kodi Aeon Nox: Silvo Website
Kodi Aeon Nox: Silvo Forum
Kodi Wiki

Last edited:
Can I get a show of hands? Who's using Kodi? :hi

I am, though I get the impression that I may be in the minority because I'm more interested in its functionality without a screen.

I love some of the visuals I've seen posted, but for my own use I'm largely trying to duplicate the Logitech Squeezebox system only with the addition of multichannel.

Reactions: PK
I am, though I get the impression that I may be in the minority because I'm more interested in its functionality without a screen.

I love some of the visuals I've seen posted, but for my own use I'm largely trying to duplicate the Logitech Squeezebox system only with the addition of multichannel.
Cool, another Kodi user!
Yea, I'm all about the visual experience and assumed others were the same so this is interesting...but I could imagine wanting to play music without getting blasted by a big TV screen too...I use an app on my iPad so I wouldn't need my tv screen then...I'm guessing the Logitech has a screen so maybe that's similar to me using an iPad with my TV screen off?? IDK...

I've just ordered a Minix Neo A2 Lite to use with the Odroid N2. I'll probably add a small monitor once I'm up and running - I don't want to have the 55" OLED TV on all the time as I play music whilst working from home as it becomes a distraction.

I've just ordered a Minix Neo A2 Lite to use with the Odroid N2. I'll probably add a small monitor once I'm up and running - I don't want to have the 55" OLED TV on all the time as I play music whilst working from home as it becomes a distraction.
I just got the Minix with the gyroscopic mouse. I'd never heard of such a thing :ROFLMAO:
Yes I can see how some wouldn't want the big screen on all the time (y)

Cool, I found another one of us :)
Odroid N2...I've no clue but the name alone kicks butt! I'm assuming it's similar to a NUC?
This is the Odroid N2, its ARM based so not a NUC (I have the i7), but I decided I wanted something simpler, plus I'm hoping the HDMI HDCP 2.2 :)poop:) level isn't 'hard baked' into the design as it blanks the output with my AV Amp :mad:!

Reactions: PK
One of the smartphone or tablet remote apps will allow you to run Kodi without a TV. The

With their graphical UI you can scroll through artists and albums to play on your Phone/tablet. Highly Recommended. Faster than using a conventional remote too.

One of the smartphone or tablet remote apps will allow you to run Kodi without a TV. The

With their graphical UI you can scroll through artists and albums to play on your Phone/tablet. Highly Recommended. Faster than using a conventional remote too.
Would that be able to duplicate the functionality if his, @atrocity, Logitech Squeezebox too?

This is the Odroid N2, its ARM based so not a NUC (I have the i7), but I decided I wanted something simpler, plus I'm hoping the HDMI HDCP 2.2 :)poop:) level isn't 'hard baked' into the design as it blanks the output with my AV Amp :mad:!
Hey Duncan,
Is this a NUC issue? Every once in a while my screen goes blank for a few moments. Not sure if it's a connection or some other issue...

Would that be able to duplicate the functionality if his, @atrocity, Logitech Squeezebox too?

Possibly, in my thread to using a Kodi Backup I’ve updated the PDFdoc today with screenshots of the Kodi Remote App for iPhone (free) interface. The Android app is similar. I’ll also start a new thread later today with more shots and how to set it up to talk to Kodi (easy)

Hey Duncan,
Is this a NUC issue? Every once in a while my screen goes blank for a few moments. Not sure if it's a connection or some other issue...
No the blanking of the screen happens because HDMI links handshake with each other - even when switched off! If I have my TV plugged in but not switched on my audio will blank periodically on my amp, its the *&%$ing HDMI handshake, unplug the TV and it never happens!

The blank screen with my NUC & amp is due to the NUC having a fixed HDCP 2.2 HDMI link my amp is HDCP 1.4, if an HDCP 2.2 copy protected device detects anything that isn't at 2.2 it inhibits the output. So much for backwards compatibility :mad::poop:

No the blanking of the screen happens because HDMI links handshake with each other - even when switched off! If I have my TV plugged in but not switched on my audio will blank periodically on my amp, its the *&%$ing HDMI handshake, unplug the TV and it never happens!

The blank screen with my NUC & amp is due to the NUC having a fixed HDCP 2.2 HDMI link my amp is HDCP 1.4, if an HDCP 2.2 copy protected device detects anything that isn't at 2.2 it inhibits the output. So much for backwards compatibility :mad::poop:
Sounds like I need to check the HDMI specs on my receiver to see if this might be what I'm experiencing too...thanks...

Sounds like I need to check the HDMI specs on my receiver to see if this might be what I'm experiencing too...thanks...
I haven't seen any mention of HDMI hand shaking in my amp or TV specs. There is an I2C bidirectional serial link on the cable, often denoted as CIS, which is used for this, so very low level software handles this functionality (EDIF if I remember correctly). Great when it works, a pain when implementations of the spec differ!

Woops, my bad. I may have misread your post. My issue is a blanking of the TV screen while playing music on my NUC. The audio keeps playing but the TV screen will periodically go blank for a second or two and then the video comes back on.

Back