lafayette sq-w decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlane3

Since 2002/2003
I was lucky enough to pick up a Lafayette LR 5000 with the SQ-W Full Logic decoder in it recently, and for a very good price. It does a super job of decoding SQ an since I cannot afford a Tate, I am quite satisfied with the 2nd best in SQ decoding! Those who cannot either get or afford a Tate , should keep a look out for either the SQ-W decoder itself , or the LR 5000 Receiver , which contains it. BTW , I got the owners/service manual with it to boot!

carlane3 said:
I was lucky enough to pick up a Lafayette LR 5000 with the SQ-W Full Logic decoder in it recently, and for a very good price. It does a super job of decoding SQ an since I cannot afford a Tate, I am quite satisfied with the 2nd best in SQ decoding! Those who cannot either get or afford a Tate , should keep a look out for either the SQ-W decoder itself , or the LR 5000 Receiver , which contains it. BTW , I got the owners/service manual with it to boot!
Congratulations! I have one (bought new in 1976, when Lafayette closed them out). Unfortunately, the QS & CD-4 decoders are on the fritz (does yours have the plug-in CD-4 module? You had to buy it separately & then have Lafayette install it), but the SQ still works perfectly. If you use the tape inputs & outputs, you can bypass the pathetic amps, & route it thru a 5.1 input on your current receiver in order to get much better sound!

I used to have one decades ago. My demo LP for the SQ-W was Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. Great Quad mix!

Sadly, my SQ-W started to malfunction...so...I...gave it away...for free.

Back