Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave a listen……i find the songs and the production of it’s time and very dated. Because of that, it doesn’t really matter to me how “ good” the ATMOS mix is! That said, Jeff Lynne’s very busy productions seemingly benefit from the extra “room” that come with the capabilities of ATMOS,,,,

So is the consensus that the GH albums are not upmixes?

Ah, thanks! Is anyone else experiencing duplicate tracks on George Harrison's Brainwashed album? Most of the tracks are in there twice

Nope. Probably had them in your library already (from a ripped CD?) then added the Apple Music version with the same name?

If I am getting ready to add an Apple Music album to my library I check there isn't an existing album with the same name and rename it to "Album (CD)" or something so that they don't get merged together as you might be describing.

Ah, thanks! Is anyone else experiencing duplicate tracks on George Harrison's Brainwashed album? Most of the tracks are in there twice
I often wind up with duplicate tracks if I add an album from the Windows web version of Apple Music. I think it's a known glitch that they're not really motivated to do anything about. In Apple Music on your ATV4K, delete the album from your library, then search for it and add it again, and you should be all right.

There are so many puzzling things about the Harrison mixes. You'd think that with 30-50 years there would be at least one little bit missing, a delay that was different, a different reverb, different vocal take, etc. I also haven't found a sound that only occurs in one speaker.
In trying to find that, I've been standing up on the couch like @beerking , but unlike him, I hear everything in the rear top speakers, always. It's like the instruments are huge objects.
Curious, I put in All Things Must Pass on Blu-ray atmos and played Behind That Locked Door. The lead vocal is in the rear speakers pretty loud, and is not in the rear top speakers.
Switch to the Apple atmos version and the lead vocals are in both the rear back and rear top speakers.
Did this change Friday or has it always been this way?
Similar thing, different example. Isn't It A Pity (version 2). On Bluray atmos in the very beginning there is Nicky Hopkins' piano in the rear left and rear top left, but not in the front left. In the Apple atmos version, it is in front left.
Is this what others are hearing? Have I gone crazy?
(I have a 5.1.2 setup)
how do you check rear top when you have 5.1.2? No front top?

Last edited:
Everybody is entitled to an opinion based on a first impression, but the above assertions are demonstrably false.
I will give one example only, not interested in a debate.

Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) [thanks George, trying to do that here as respectfully as possible]
🕊️🕊️🕊️

Surround backs have isolated sustained harmonium chords, bass guitar & backing vocals.
Center channel lead voc, drums, lead guitar.
LFE bass guitar fundamental octave only, no kick.

I think we should all cool down before starting a freaking social media attack on the Harrison estate.

I don't understand why anyone is proud they got some old singles from the 60s and 70s deleted as Atmos "upmixes" and reverted to stereo.
Screw that, I want to hear Archie Bell & The Drells Tighten Up Part I & II banging from 12 speakers again and wrapping around my head on my Airpods.

Dammit, I pay for my Apple subscription, and you have diminished my access to tracks I enjoyed.
And no, they categorically do not sound the same in "7.1 all speaker stereo" switched on the receiver as they did before, even if the mix is "lazy" or doesn't meet one's personal standards.
You don't get to decide for me what I groove to.

Please consider that my wife is a huge George Harrison fan.
She will get a great deal of pleasure listening to these arguably substandard Atmos tracks on her Airpods at the gym and dog walking.
It will not be a win for her if Atmos snobbery gets these tracks deleted and reverted to stereo.

One man's opinion, agree or disagree. Over and out. ☮️
just checked, its a real mix. it appears some folks immediately put 'up mix' stamp when they see which label the catalogue belongs to without listening.

just checked, its a real mix. it appears some folks immediately put 'up mix' stamp when they see which label the catalogue belongs to without listening.
Indeed, I have rear top, not front.
I haven't heard any sounds that are different from stereo, nor any sounds that are only in one speaker.
I love love love Harrison, and it's been fun to listen to songs I usually don't.

I've got a 7.1.4 setup and I'm still not convinced any of these albums were remixed from a multitrack source. The front, side, and top front channels sound like the original stereo mix, while the rears and rear heights sound as if some kind of stem separation process was run to isolate the guitar or keyboard parts.

Any chance someone could repost the apple link for this please (Bad Religion - Stranger than Fiction (presumably))? Not showing in my browser for some reason and I can't find it for the life of me in iTunes.

Or can anymore confirm if it is unavailable in the UK?

Cheers
Back on Apple Music in Atmos here in the States.

Nope. Probably had them in your library already (from a ripped CD?) then added the Apple Music version with the same name?
Thanks! I guess that was it. I just deleted them from the library and added them again, and there are no duplicates. I suppose those were in there from my own library, I must have added them a while ago and forgot about it. Funny because I usually add something in brackets to the end of a title. 🤷

Back