Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Supremes - Supremes A Go Go.

View attachment 76840

Hope this opens the floodgates for more Motown...

Apple Music - The Supremes A' Go-Go by The Supremes
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/220347499

Immersive mix - Kevin Reeves. It's a good one! :cool:
Reeves did the VU's Loaded as well as The Allman Brothers Band surround from several years ago. He tends to go discreet in a favorable way.

The Supremes might have been a 4 track recording, those are tough ones, especially for Atmos 7.1 ordeals.

Last edited:
The Supremes might have been a 4 track recording, those are tough ones, especially for Atmos 7.1 ordeals.

From (slightly hazy) memory: 'When the Ain't No Mountain...' multis leaked a few years ago I *think* they were 8track. The Supremes must have been around the same time so there's a slight chance it might be 8. The Mountain atmos mix is one of my favourites as far as revealing layers of the music is concerned.

This album released today and it exceeds expectations as a surround treat in a near reference mix:

https://music.apple.com/au/album/what-are-we-waiting-for/1602835204.

From the ethereal seemless blend between tracks ‘Unsung Hero” -> “Harmony”.

To the extremely uplifting/unifying “RELATE”; the wild mixing on “Broken Halo” and the bombastic uber-inspirational “TOGETHER“- which is the album standout and is a song made for surround, that really shines in the atmos format.

Strong and solid inspirational album - that we all need during current geopolitical divisions and war.

Not a “preachy” album for Christian pop, that truly envelopes the listening space.

Tracks 5 & 7 are stereo? The rest are Atmos?

No, just Apple's confusing method of overlaying new Atmos tracks on an old release. On the original non-Atmos version of that album probably all the tracks are mono except those two are stereo, hence their labeling. That is what you get if you didn't have an Atmos system.

But instead of releasing a new Atmos version of the album they just give you the Atmos when you try to play the Stereo/Mono versions because they are Apple and they know best.

Very excited for this despite having never listened to the whole thing back to front:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/sleep/1452629309
Max Richter’s Sleep, the full 8.5 hour album (or at least at the moment up to track 51, the rest is presumably being uploaded) is now in Atmos. Presumably the longest surround mix we’ll see.

For those who own the Blu already, or have it on other methods, you may note there’s many many more tracks now, that’s how they can more easily profit off of streaming a long album like this.

Very excited for this despite having never listened to the whole thing back to front:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/sleep/1452629309
Max Richter’s Sleep, the full 8.5 hour album (or at least at the moment up to track 51, the rest is presumably being uploaded) is now in Atmos. Presumably the longest surround mix we’ll see.

For those who own the Blu already, or have it on other methods, you may note there’s many many more tracks now, that’s how they can more easily profit off of streaming a long album like this.
Sorry not getting the Atmos from your link, at least not that my iPhone shows?

D75D26E7-23D3-47A8-9A35-C015D0C408F0.jpeg

Sorry not getting the Atmos from your link, at least not that my iPhone shows?

View attachment 76844
At the moment it’s not *all* up in Atmos, but it’s in the “Now In Spatial Audio” carousel on my phone. The first 51 tracks seem to be up in Atmos already. Once the rest are up, it will likely have the tag added.

Of note; there are THREE versions of Sleep on Apple Music, the one I linked has 204 tracks, which is the one that seems to have Atmos at the moment. There’s a 31 track version (which… may only be visible to me as I purchased this album off of iTunes years back), which does NOT have Atmos, and there’s “From Sleep”, a 1 hour shortened cut, which also does not have Atmos. I’m basing the fact that the rest will get Atmos based on its placement in the “Now In Spatial Audio” carousel.

At the moment it’s not *all* up in Atmos, but it’s in the “Now In Spatial Audio” carousel on my phone. The first 51 tracks seem to be up in Atmos already. Once the rest are up, it will likely have the tag added.

Of note; there are THREE versions of Sleep on Apple Music, the one I linked has 204 tracks, which is the one that seems to have Atmos at the moment. There’s a 31 track version (which… may only be visible to me as I purchased this album off of iTunes years back), which does NOT have Atmos, and there’s “From Sleep”, a 1 hour shortened cut, which also does not have Atmos. I’m basing the fact that the rest will get Atmos based on its placement in the “Now In Spatial Audio” carousel.
Oh right, it’s Apple’s meticulous attention to detail once again :LOL: -Thank you for the detailed explanation, maybe you should get hired by Apple and get this mess straightened out for us:)

Oh right, it’s Apple’s meticulous attention to detail once again :LOL: -Thank you for the detailed explanation, maybe you should get hired by Apple and get this mess straightened out for us:)
Ha! I actually just landed my first big tech job, a work from home dealio, late last year. Pretty happy with it so far.

I’ve just been using Apple Music for a long time, despite having changed to windows ages ago, so I’m used to how… peculiar it can be at times. Sometimes it’s best to approach it from a scientific perspective… :p

Worth noting: Apple seems to be aware of how, for lack of a better word, janky Apple Music seems to be. A UX expert wrote a bit long letter to Tim Cook, which apparently not only was read by Tim, but forwarded to the AM team, and Cook’s secretary apparently wanted to set up a call for more info. All that is Here, and the letter he wrote was adapted into an article Over here. I wouldn’t be shocked if during WWDC, their big developers conference where they show off new iOS updates, a major overhaul is coming. This current UI (which fun fact; Trent Reznor of all people was called in to consult on) has been around for quite some time, and it’s due for a refresh.

The Beatles 1 starts to get better from Day Tripper on.
I’ve spent some time with Beatles 1 in ATMOS, and as an avid fan, I’m really excited about hopefully complete ATMOS releases of their earlier work.

Certainly the first couple of recordings, done on twin track, dont gain much with an ATMOS mix. However, the songs on 1 that were recorded on 4 and 8 track are pretty revealing and yes, spacious In ATMOS. I’m noticing greater detail in things like tambourines, sounding like the Ringo or whoever is in the room playing it.

Back