Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm that there are isolated vocals in the ceiling speakers on this one:

Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock 'N Roll) [2014 Remaster]

Overall the non-Diamonds tracks to my ears sound very pleasing... but will leave @fredblue to judge as frankly I ain't qualified enough on this album in comparison.
oh i'm spectacularly overqualified, i could recite all 17 tracks in my sleep, backwards, in Jamaican πŸ™ƒπŸ€ probably 🀑🀣

more seriously... 😈 even though i think the Height use is for the most part more subtle than i think the 'everything but the kitchen sink' production of the album maybe deserved, i still think this is a step up from the 5.1.

for starters i'm finding the mix gels more cohesively on the rockers and the mastering's less brittle sounding than the old DVD-A/SACD.. FFAF could do with a bit more low end maybe but it's so Surround-ily beautiful i'm probably nitpicking? πŸ€”

the Rears are in heavy use throughout every track, with new (to me) little bits popping up all round and when the Heights do kick in they're used well; there's synths and wooshing effects up above in "Grey Seal", organ swells in "This Song Has No Title", Beach Boys esque vocal snippets in "Your Sister Can't Twist", seagulls and brass in "Sweet Painted Lady", Elton shouting out "dirty little girl!" around all the Height channels in "Dirty Little Girl", all the crowd noise at the start and synth bits going round the room at the end of "Bennie & The Jets".. backing vocal ooh's and aah's in "Candle In The Wind" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" oh and did i mention they went totally batshit with the Heights in "All The Girls Love Alice"...!?? oh yeah i did πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ™„ well, they did!! 🀩πŸ€ͺπŸ™ƒ hoorah!! πŸ₯³πŸ’˜πŸ˜

a bit more Atmos-sy Brick Road ramblings and potential needless nitpickery.. πŸ¦‰πŸŒ²πŸΈ

i feel they still haven't got the fade up quite right on "Social Disease" πŸ€”

it's seemingly not baked into the recording and has to be done manually, idk? πŸ˜‰

i'm guessing so anyway since this is the 3rd time in a Surround remix row they've got the volume level fade in 'wrong' now (imho); it was so close in GP's first 5.1 but i could tell the gnat's fart of a difference.. then it was totally absent on the HFPA Blu-ray (where the track went in at full pelt with no fade in! 😱 ) and now in the Atmos it starts lower - yet starts a tad too loud for my liking - but it does raise in level, it's maybe a touch less subtle and gradual the way it should be. ah i dunno.. πŸ™„πŸ‘€

ah well, never mind, there's pretty birds twittering at the outset and some (new to me) crowd noise shriek/whistle/woah/whoops type noises that pop up in the Heights during the sax solo, so it redeemed itself in that respect! πŸ˜…πŸ˜

oh yeah and another v.minor observation; no bonus tracks this time round! πŸ‘€πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Greg Penny could've gone to town on Atmos renditions of an Acoustic stripped down "Candle In The Wind", or "Screw You" or "Whenever You're Ready We'll Go Steady Again".. ah, well, we got them in 5.1 for the 30th, everything's dropping off in the 50's!! πŸ€ͺ

I think it's really a great album.
it is! the other half and i are greatly enjoying it and both finding that the Atmos once cranked is more engaging than we were expecting and rather nicely if quite simply done.

if anything, it feels a tad front heavy maybe? my favourite songs take up most of the first half of the record; Padam Padam, Things We Do For Love, Tension, One More Time, Hold Onto Now.. while nothing rivals my personal glory days of Kylie ("Fever" and "Light Years"- which i so wish could get really full on Atmos reworkings!) i'm enjoying it much more than her "Disco" album. although it came along at a funny time i guess!?

Upcoming alternate version of Random Access Memories… this time without drums.
jeez Louise!! 🀩😱 this is the bee's knees!! πŸ₯³πŸ˜

well.. a rejig we didn't think was needed, maybe (what a masterwork the original album is!!) but this track is a rather beautiful reimagining and nicely Surround-y, with just the right amount of Height channel action for the forum's meter watchers!! πŸ€“πŸ€©πŸ˜‰

Back