Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had a full run through of the Jacob Collier this morning, and just, wow. It's the equivalent of a trip around the world, musically speaking. Hitting on at least a dozen musical genres and yet somehow makes for a cohesive, epic journey when listened straight through. I am usually not much on pop music these days but this is next level stuff. Pop, electronica, gospel, jazz, screamo, rock, blues, middle eastern, Latin, and on and on. And a demo-worthy Atmos mix to boot. Somebody please please PLEASE release this on blu-ray.

If you consider yourself to be musically adventurous, you owe it to yourself to give this a listen.
OK, you convinced me to add this to my Library. I'll listen in a bit.

Can anyone comment on the Atmos mix for the incredible new Judas Priest album, “Invincible Shield”?
I listened to 3 songs, and it sounds like total ass. Horribly compressed, loud and the mix is shit. I should add, in my opinion of course. lol The Neil Young I just posted crushes it in terms of fidelity and mix.

I listened to 3 songs, and it sounds like total ass. Horribly compressed, loud and the mix is shit. I should add, in my opinion of course. lol The Neil Young I just posted crushes it in terms of fidelity and mix.
I listened today and I liked the mix, fair use of the heights and an overall good presentation.
Little use of the SB speakers though.

I wish you would stop sugar coating things and just say how you really feel!! ☺️

I am listening to new Atmos Priest now.
Volume needs to be up.
Height speakers fairly active.
Some cool things shoot to rears.
Guitar solos do play back and forth front to rear.
Kick drums=WEAK.
Vocals are too loud over music, not good balance.

Now listening to the stereo FLAC version, 24bit/48Khz=way better. Even and strong sounding. This will get cranked in the car.

I also bought the 2 CD's with alternate artwork covers, unopened as of this writing.
R-30032335-1709861953-4273.jpg

R-30011644-1709969766-6773.jpg

Listened to the Neil Young and I agree on the better fidelity, but the mix is only 7.1, no heights. 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: GOS
I was reading the paper when listening, but the meters showed good activity. Not to picky when it comes to heavy music in Atmos, not much to choose from. ;)
Oh, I hear you there. Not much to pick from. Which....when it does show up.....why can't they let the foot off the compressed accelerator? Priest from the 70's, that stuff sounds so much better fidelity wise.

I don't understand? There may be output in the heights, but when my meters don't even move it's so low level that it's inaudible in my listening seat and of no use.
When I solo the heights, they are indeed pretty insubstantial.

When I solo the heights, they are indeed pretty insubstantial.
I just can't go there. I'm a surround sound fan, as long as the presentation is pleasing from a multi-channel stand-point, I could care less if the heights are as active as the surrounds. Particularly, when the title in question is not in any other surround version. Cinnamon Girl in surround, 5.1 or heights included is a big win, especially when it sounds as good as this does. Oh, and I'm not talking to you, just responding to the conversation. :)

And, while I'm on my soap-box :hi let me say this. I love Atmos. But, if the base product has crap fidelity, I don't care if 12 speakers are blazing away in Atmos glory. That title will NEVER get played again by me. This is why SO many titles in Atmos are of little interest to me. Additionally, I don't like a majority of the music choices. So, that's an issue for me too. I will always gravitate to my roots, which is 1970's rock.

OK. I feel a bit better now. lmao

I just can't go there. I'm a surround sound fan, as long as the presentation is pleasing from a multi-channel stand-point, I could care less if the heights are as active as the surrounds. Particularly, when the title in question is not in any other surround version. Cinnamon Girl in surround, 5.1 or heights included is a big win, especially when it sounds as good as this does. Oh, and I'm not talking to you, just responding to the conversation. :)
You know me, I'm a height junky. No heights, no Atmos to me. After all this is the Dolby Atmos streaming thread, not the multichannel streaming thread. ;)

Back