Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yikes.. 😱

idk what genre it comes under elsewhere but in the U.K. its billed as "House" which is pretty accurate 👍

now let me get back to the doof doofs.. 😹
Ah, House, missed that, will remember going forward.
Have never seen a complete list of Apple genre labels.
Had I seen Dance or Electronic would have turned the volume down before sampling. 👂🔇

this one has same audio channel copied and pasted on every speakers with different level.. omg..
What the...?!? This one already had a well-known Atmos mix by Dave Rideau and Steve Genewick--one of the first Atmos mixes that was demo'd to industry insiders and touted as a Sign Of Things To Come back in 2019. (This is where Rideau and Genewick pioneered the technique of playing the original stereo tapes in Capitol Studio C and recording "live reverb" off the walls and ceilings. AFAICT, it's more or less the same technique Genewick has used on a whole bunch of classic Blue Notes.) Are you sure this isn't that same mix?
https://www.mixonline.com/sfp/dolby-atmos-music-its-different-when-you-mix-music-onlyhttps://www.mixonline.com/recording/how-miles-davis-kind-of-blue-got-a-dolby-atmos-mix

What the...?!? This one already had a well-known Atmos mix by Dave Rideau and Steve Genewick--one of the first Atmos mixes that was demo'd to industry insiders and touted as a Sign Of Things To Come back in 2019. (This is where Rideau and Genewick pioneered the technique of playing the original stereo tapes in Capitol Studio C and recording "live reverb" off the walls and ceilings. AFAICT, it's more or less the same technique Genewick has used on a whole bunch of classic Blue Notes.) Are you sure this isn't that same mix?
https://www.mixonline.com/sfp/dolby-atmos-music-its-different-when-you-mix-music-onlyhttps://www.mixonline.com/recording/how-miles-davis-kind-of-blue-got-a-dolby-atmos-mix
I revisited these tunes and was shocked

I've played this several times, sounds good to me, but what do I know. :rolleyes:
upmixes can be effective and if multitracks are missing or unusable then i guess it could be argued they're kinda necessary.

i'd just rather not pay for an Apple subscription to hear them when i can simply engage some upmixing and/or synthesizing method of my own choosing, which may give a superior Surround-y effect 🙂

case in point, the recent Morcheeba Atmos offerings; i got more satisfying Surround out of the original Stereo by engaging the Dolby Surround decoder on my Receiver.

You will be smoking a pipe and wearing slippers next….as the years fly by😴
16642893143021497312132217347758.jpg

Half way there already!! :D Norm

I revisited these tunes and was shocked
So you're 100% sure they replaced the Dave Rideau / Steve Genewick mix with something different? For Tidal subscribers, is "Kind of Blue" on Tidal, and if so is it the same mix as before?

If Apple Music (especially if it's only Apple Music) has a different mix now, one possible reason could be the Apple Spatial Audio algorithm was not working well with the Rideau / Genewick mix.

this one has same audio channel copied and pasted on every speakers with different level.. omg..

I know better than to mess with Texas, but pardner, you are shoveling a big load of Forth Worth stockyards manure to folks who hear it differently, at least in regard to the front three channels. 🤠

Care to back that poker hand?
I'm calling your bluff. ♦️♦️♦️♦️🃏

Just did a level-matched A/B comparison with my beloved Sony Japan SACD on the first three minutes of track 1.

🍿

Last edited:
upmixes can be effective and if multitracks are missing or unusable then i guess it could be argued they're kinda necessary.

i'd just rather not pay for an Apple subscription to hear them when i can simply engage some upmixing and/or synthesizing method of my own choosing, which may give a superior Surround-y effect 🙂

case in point, the recent Morcheeba Atmos offerings; i got more satisfying Surround out of the original Stereo by engaging the Dolby Surround decoder on my Receiver.
But isn't this Billy Idol EP new songs? Why upmix them?

Back