Looking for easy conversion from High Res FLAC to 16/44.1 FLAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I sometimes use a SanDisk MP3 player for audio on my sailboat. The player can play FLAC, but it is limited to 16 bit 44.1 kHz sample rates, the same as a Redbook CD. So I want to convert some higher res albums for playback on the boat using this player. For example, nearly all my stereo Jethro Tull stuff is ripped from the reissued DVDs at 24/96 FLAC. I need to convert to 16/44.1 FLAC. I dont see where FreeAC, Foobar, or Audiomuxer, (my three go-tos for this kind of thing) will do this, at least not easily. Foobar and FreeAC will convert 24/96 to 16/96, but I cant see an option to convert the sample rate. I tried converting to WAV first, then converting to FLAC, but ended up with tracks that sounded like they were running at half speed (what happened there?).

I do know Audacity will do it, but its a long and tedious track by track process that I really don't want to deal with just to get albums on the boat. I want something faster and easier.

Either Foobar or FreeAC will also convert High Res tracks to MP3.

Is there software out there that will do what I want with reasonable energy expenditure? Or should I just settle for MP3?

I would look at conversion feature on Audiomuxer, it should do a FLAC to FLAC : click boxes to change bit depth and resample rates

1591621332121.png

I would look at conversion feature on Audiomuxer, it should do a FLAC to FLAC : click boxes to change bit depth and resample rates

I couldant get it to do a FLAC to FLAC conversion for me where it re-computes the sample rate. It would convert 24/96 FLAC to 16/44.1 WAV. I believe that when I got the 1/2 speed tracks

I couldant get it to do a FLAC to FLAC conversion for me where it re-computes the sample rate. It would convert 24/96 FLAC to 16/44.1 WAV. I believe that when I got the 1/2 speed tracks
That sounds weird; did you double check all your settings?
Also have you checked Garry’s MMH; not sure if it goes down to that res. though:unsure:

sox will easily make the conversion you are asking about.
http://sox.sourceforge.net/
That's my go-to as well. Syntax can be incredibly fussy and non-intuitive, but if you get it right once you can stick it in a batch file for future use.

Code:
sox --show-progress --no-clobber inputfile.wav -r 44100 -b 16 outputfile.wav

Above example uses WAV, but you can use FLAC as well. I tend to only use the official FLAC software for encoding myself because of some long-forgotten problem that may no longer be relevant.

SoX can also "remix" a multichannel file to 2-channel.

Foobar will convert whatever you would like.
Why not just make things easy and convert to 320K MP3 for anything on the San Disk.
It would be difficult to notice any difference in quality between a 320K MP3 and a Redbook FLAC while on a Sailboat.

I also use a San Disk MP3 player on a boat and got frustrated with different formats on it. Now it's simple (and it always works).

XLD (X Lossless Decoder)
It also does the expected lossy conversions. Uses SOX for sample rate conversions.
Covers all the formats. Even DSD to PCM decimation.

Point it to the directory you wish for output. Set the naming/file path options once and you can drag/drop your whole library and walk away while it creates a folder of conversions.

MMH Resampler tool will do it. It uses Sox. It will work in batch mode on all files in a folder or sub folders but it overwrites existing files. EDIT: Recent MMH versions allow overwrite or creation of new Resampled files. The batch loading will allow you to convert them all at once.

Very easy with foobar2k, as JanBakker says. You just have to explore the 'Processing' option of the Converter Setup screen (which appears when you click the 'Convert' option for a selected track/tracks, and choose "...") . Once you've set it up you can save it as a preset, or just use 'last used' until you're done. Here for example I'd be using the PPHS resampler (you can install sox , SSRC, etc instead) , which I have set to resample at 44.1 kHz in its options window. In the FLAC output options you can set the bit depth to 16, with dither or not.

1591654211857.png

Attachments

• 1591653979496.png
    1591653979496.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
I sometimes use a SanDisk MP3 player for audio on my sailboat. The player can play FLAC, but it is limited to 16 bit 44.1 kHz sample rates, the same as a Redbook CD. So I want to convert some higher res albums for playback on the boat using this player. For example, nearly all my stereo Jethro Tull stuff is ripped from the reissued DVDs at 24/96 FLAC. I need to convert to 16/44.1 FLAC. I dont see where FreeAC, Foobar, or Audiomuxer, (my three go-tos for this kind of thing) will do this, at least not easily. Foobar and FreeAC will convert 24/96 to 16/96, but I cant see an option to convert the sample rate. I tried converting to WAV first, then converting to FLAC, but ended up with tracks that sounded like they were running at half speed (what happened there?).

I do know Audacity will do it, but its a long and tedious track by track process that I really don't want to deal with just to get albums on the boat. I want something faster and easier.

Either Foobar or FreeAC will also convert High Res tracks to MP3.

Is there software out there that will do what I want with reasonable energy expenditure? Or should I just settle for MP3?
dbPoweramp Music Converter will do this. Just add the bitrate & resampling plugins to the chain and set them to 16 and 44.1.
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Actually I got it to work with Audiomuxer. I must have done something wrong the first time. But thank you all for the suggestions.

It would be difficult to notice any difference in quality between a 320K MP3 and a Redbook FLAC while on a Sailboat.
For the most part, I think that is correct, especially while moving. When at dock, inside the cabin, you might be able to notice the difference. I can hear the difference between an MP3 and 16/44.1 in my car, again when not moving.
I also use a San Disk MP3 player on a boat and got frustrated with different formats on it. Now it's simple (and it always works).
Why the frustration? Mine will handle a change of formats seamlessly.

As a side note, I just got a new 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I love the vehicle. The sound system is decent. Made by Alpine. Its an 8 speaker system with rear "sub". I use the quotes because its only a 5" or 6" cone. There is a center channel speaker in the dash which goes a long way toward providing a more balanced L/R image than is typical of 4 corner auto sound. I was surprised to learn the system would play HR stereo FLAC via USB. It recognizes 24/48, 24/96, even 24/88.2 FLAC formats. This is a change from a few years ago when Chrysler products would not recognize FLAC files at all (nor would my Chevy). I had to convert everything to MP3 for my wife's 2015 Chrysler 300 and for her current 2018 Charger, but at some point they updated the Uconnect firmware to play FLAC. The new jeep also played MC FLAC, but only the front channels (damn!). I was hopeful as it also has a "surround" mode for the stereo, but its some type of faux surround manipulation. Its OK I guess, but I prefer the straight stereo version.

As a side note, I just got a new 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I love the vehicle. The sound system is decent. Made by Alpine. Its an 8 speaker system with rear "sub". I use the quotes because its only a 5" or 6" cone. There is a center channel speaker in the dash which goes a long way toward providing a more balanced L/R image than is typical of 4 corner auto sound. I was surprised to learn the system would play HR stereo FLAC via USB. It recognizes 24/48, 24/96, even 24/88.2 FLAC formats. This is a change from a few years ago when Chrysler products would not recognize FLAC files at all (nor would my Chevy). I had to convert everything to MP3 for my wife's 2015 Chrysler 300 and for her current 2018 Charger, but at some point they updated the Uconnect firmware to play FLAC. The new jeep also played MC FLAC, but only the front channels (damn!). I was hopeful as it also has a "surround" mode for the stereo, but its some type of faux surround manipulation. Its OK I guess, but I prefer the straight stereo version.
Wife and I are due to upgrade our Grand Cherokee....we have a 2017. I'm sure lots of great changes for the 2020.

Back