Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eternity's Children is one of those sixties bands that's been relegated to "footnote" status and it's a bit unfortunate because the group did have its moments, especially on vinyl. They managed to eke out two albums on two different labels and the records were molded as something akin to classic Sunshine Pop albeit with Psychedelic flourishes. Aided and abetted by producer Curt Boettcher, they were in good hands in the studio. They never did have that one "breakout" hit ("Mrs. Bluebird" came close,) but they were a little late to the whole "sunshine pop" party and by the time their debut album came out in 1968, the sound had mostly fallen out of favor. IMO, they are still worth a listen.

Eternity's Children (front).jpg

Eternity's Children (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Magic in My Socks - Al Kooper
from "You Never Know Who Your Friends Are"
Kooper autographed my Japan CD

Little Green Apples - O.C. Smith
from Playboy After Dark live 1968

Memories of Madrid - Herb Alpert/TJB
Julius Wechter guests on marimba

Blue Eyes - International Submarine Band feat Gram Parsons

Being a member of the Wrecking Crew, Julius Wechter was the go to marimba player for Herb and the TJB. 🥃 🥃

In the summer of 1968 you couldn't escape the fact that "...someone left a cake out in the rain," when Jimmy Webb teamed up with Richard Harris for the LP, A Tramp Shining. This unlikely paring yielded the smash hit single, "Mac Arthur Park," which at seven and a half minutes in length broke all of the rules for Top 40 radio. But, play it, they did and the rest as they say, is history. Enjoy!

Richard Harris (front).jpg

Richard Harris (back).jpg

If, like me, you read Teen Set magazine back in the mid-late sixties, you may recall the group, The Sidewalk Skipper Band (of America.) There was the occasional little blurb about the band being in the studio or an ad for a new 45, but, otherwise, this group was shrouded in mystery to me since I never heard any of their music. It wasn't until decades later when Steve Stanley's excellent Book A Trip comps came out that I learned the backstory of this Milwaukee, Wisconsin, based band. Apparently, one of the Sidewalk Skipper Band member's mother was friends with the editor at Teen Set, which was owned by Capitol Records. The Teen Set editor pitched the label about signing the group, and Capitol did. The label liked the band's Beatle-ish style and their original material. Although Capitol did not release a SSB album, the two Book A Trip volumes collects all of their Capitol studio output between 1967-68. Some good psych-pop sounds here!

Last edited:
@Uncle Obscure I cannot keep up with your postings!

I want to say that I listened to the mp3s of Eternity's Children and I think Mrs Bluebird is a knockout track. I listened to it twice.
I thought this is going to be a must buy but as I listened to the other samples they just did not grab me as well recorded as they are. But definitely Mrs Bluebird should be included on a compilation.

I have that Richard Harris album as well as another one thrift store finds. They are great.

Never saw that live Love clip. Are they really playing? The drummer looks like hes comatose barely hitting the snare. I was lucky to have seen Arthur Lee with a Love lineup in the 70s not this one.
I understand Bryan Mclean had a solo album of his compositions.

@Uncle Obscure I cannot keep up with your postings!

I want to say that I listened to the mp3s of Eternity's Children and I think Mrs Bluebird is a knockout track. I listened to it twice.
I thought this is going to be a must buy but as I listened to the other samples they just did not grab me as well recorded as they are. But definitely Mrs Bluebird should be included on a compilation.

I have that Richard Harris album as well as another one thrift store finds. They are great.

Never saw that live Love clip. Are they really playing? The drummer looks like hes comatose barely hitting the snare. I was lucky to have seen Arthur Lee with a Love lineup in the 70s not this one.
I understand Bryan Mclean had a solo album of his compositions.
Well, the thing about that first Eternity's Children album is that it is famously inconsistent due to how it was recorded. It's a really looong story and it's told in full in the disc liner notes. It is a fascinating read and I couldn't begin to condense it down here. Some of the songs on the album were (almost) self produced by group members. Some were produced by Keith Olsen. And, some were co-produced by Olsen and Curt Boettcher. Also, Olsen and Boettcher were periodically MIA because they were busy working on their own projects, Sagittarius and The Millennium. So, basically, it was a cluster from the get-go. And, to make matters worse, band members came and went before the album ever released. Johnny Walker, who sings lead on the "Mrs. Bluebird" single was long gone by the time the album came out. So, there's that, too. You get the idea...

RE: The Love clip. I didn't post it, but I'm 99.9% sure it's a lip synch. The guitars are not plugged into anything and Arthur Lee has no mic. Plus, with maybe a couple of exceptions, nobody performed live on Dick Clark. I think the reason it appears to sound live is due to the poor quality of the video. It's off a VCR with some very noticeable tape drag, etc.

I wouldn't call GTO's a band...or even a group (girl or otherwise.) They didn't play instruments and could barely sing. But, there was still something there for at least a brief moment in time. Or, so thought Frank Zappa when he gathered this hodgepodge collective of Groupies (the most famous of which is Miss Christine who made history with her rock star "plaster casts") into a studio to lay down tracks for what became Permanent Damage. Some amateurish singing sprinkled with Zappa infused accompaniments and numerous conversational segments...it all adds up to a quirky overview of the California Music Scene circa 1969.

GTO's (front).jpg

GTO's (back).jpg

They're Girls Together Outrageously!

Snoopy vs. Red Baron - The Royal Guardsmen

Misery Isn't Free - Sons of Champlin
bought this on 2ch 8Tk, 2 LP & CD
We've posted a few Sons tracks. How about this KILLER:

The Dis-Advantages of You - Brass Ring feat Phil Bodner
Featured in Benson & Hedges commercials and a top 40 7":

War in Peace - Alexander "Skip" Spence

Ok @ Uncle Obscure here is some of the damage your thread has caused me....
Tracked down a copy of Living Dream Best of the Peanut Butter Conspiracy
yes its good great songs and musicianship.
waiting for a copy of Wizards From Kansas to arrive....
There is more on my list just wish the older compilations weren't so expensive now

Speaking of older comps, although it is technically not a "Nuggets" collection, it may as well be. Back in the glory days of CD, no one held a candle to RHINO when it came to mining the vaults and collecting songs by various artists into 'must have' collections. Case in point...Songs of Protest. Check out some of the Sixties gems on this disc!

Last edited:
Back