Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we've been tip-toeing around it, I guess some recognition of the singular music event that encapsulated and defined the sixties generation is in order...

View attachment 102320

So, who was there and what do you remember about it?

My dog-eared three day advance sale pass. $18 bucks!! At the door, it would have been $21! Highway robbery! :ROFLMAO::rocks
View attachment 102321
View attachment 102322
Well, I was vacationing in sunny California when WOODSTOCK was taking place in upstate New York [my HOME state]. My first cousin had bona fide tickets to the event but she couldn't get near the place and had to turn back!

A couple of years ago, AmazonUS was blowing out this AMAZING Woodstock box set for under $10 ...so I bought an EXTRA copy.

Doubtful the film which was shot in 16mm will ever have a 4K debut as it really wouldn't look any better than it does now.

But in retrospect, doubtful this former hippie could have endured 3 days of rain and mud and see ALL there was to see at this masssive once in a lifetime event and this set certainly covers almost every aspect of that lightning in a bottle extravaganza!!!!!!!!!!

Bought the "One Hit Wonders v1 & 2." Recommended

Check out Rhino's British Invasion. I bought original 4 volumes as a box. Fab!

Volumes 5-7 get into much mid-late 60's. far out!

https://www.discogs.com/release/13516996-Various-The-British-Invasion-The-History-of-British-Rock

Susan/What is Love - Buckinghams
from Ed Sullivan Show
A #11 hit and a KILLER deep track

Tired of Waiting - Flock feat Jerry Goodman
good cover of Kinks classic

Ringo - Lorne Greene

Itchycoo Park - Small Faces

I didn't get the box, Linda, but I did manage to get all ten of the individual discs (including the sampler.) I agree with you, it is a fantastic series! To this day, many of the included tracks remain as the best sounding versions of these classic British Invasion songs that I own. Exemplary tape research. Everything in this series is positively 100% authentic. If you're looking for that, then look no further!

British Invasion 1.jpg

British Invasion 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Colours is yet another of the many L.A. based bands that came and went in the late Sixties with little fanfare and no acclaim. The brainchild of two ex-Motown songwriters, Colours 1968 self-titled debut album includes some intriguing material like, "Bad Day At Black Rock, Baby," about a liquor store robbery gone bad, plus tracks with some overt Beatle-ish flourishes. Not always successful, some songs reach high, but come up a bit short. Still, you have to give these guys an "A" for effort. Colours a well-produced debut and at times, a very interesting listen.

Colours (front).jpg

Colours (back).jpg

Toronto based, The Sugar Shoppe, was formed in 1967 and the A&R folks at Capitol Records thought they found Canada's answer to the Mamas & Papas when they signed them to a label deal. Capitol set them up in the studio with legendary session players, The Wrecking Crew, along with top-flight producers and engineers, and the Sugar Shoppe set out to record their self-titled debut album. Released in 1968, The Sugar Shoppe LP kicked off with lead single, "Skip-A-Long Sam," their cover of a Donavon song that showcased the group's tight harmonic vocal stylings. An interesting factoid is that a lead member of The Sugar Shoppe, Victor Garber, went on to great success as a character actor (he played Jack Bristow, Sydney Bristow's (aka Jennifer Garner) father in the hit ABC television series, ALIAS, and Garber has also appeared in numerous film roles. "Skip-A-Long Sam" is a good cover and their take on Bobbie Gentry's, "Papa, Won't You Let Me Go To Town With You," is also very strong. Otherwise, the album is a soft pop affair, and if you enjoy that sound, you'll like The Sugar Shoppe.

The Sugar Shoppe (front).jpg

The Sugar Shoppe (back).jpg

The 1968 musical, HAIR, went well beyond just being a Broadway smash on the Great White Way. It quickly became a cultural phenomenon and a generational touchstone. Very few things in history say "Sixties" like HAIR. Its score (and successful soundtrack LP) spawned six Top 40 hits for groups including the Cowsills, Oliver, the 5th Dimension, and more. One listen and you are jettisoned back to the Summer Of Love and Woodstock. It's a stone cold classic!

Hair (front).jpg

Hair (back).jpg

Various Artists / Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1960-64 - I've been hung on oldies from 50's & 60's and I keep finding more I want to listen to and see how amazing they'll sound through the SM3. Here are some of my favorites and best sounding tunes from this set:

"Hey Baby" / Bruce Channel
"Harlem Nocturne" / The Viscounts - I've always loved this song so to hear it in stereo was great but then have the SM3 work it's magic, amazing!!!
"The Girl From Ipanema" / Getz/Gilberto
"It's Up To You" / Rick Nelson - I've heard several stereo versions of this song but this one sounds the best so far.
"A Change Is Gonna Come" / Sam Cooke - The great Sam Cooke!!!
"Running Scared" / Roy Orbison - What a voice!!!
Various:Hard To Find 1960-64.jpg

Various Artists / Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1963 Rock, Rhythm & Pop - Another great batch of tunes from Eric Records. For your listening pleasure a few of the best (my favorites) that sound amazing in stereo and through the SM3:

"Mr. Bass Man" / Johnny Cymbal
"Our Winter Love" / Bill Purcell - an immersive experience, so sweet!!!
"Elephant Walk" / Donald Jenkins & The Delighters (MONO) - was only on the charts for a few weeks at "KEWB" & "KYA" but loved it straight away, played the 45 till it turned white.
"Mama Didn't Lie" / Jan Bradley (MONO)
"Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter From Camp)" / Allan Sherman
"Ahab, The Arab" / Ray Stevens
Various:Hard To Find 1963.jpg

Rick Nelson / Legacy - An excellent box set overview of Rick's career. I never missed an episode of "Ozzie & Harriet" hoping Ricky would sing a song. There's a lot of stereo stuff and the quality is mostly excellent but it does very. I picked out some of my favorites that I thought were the best and the SM3 made them sound amazing!!! For your listening pleasure:

"Poor Little Fool"
"Lonesome Town"
"Never Be Anyone Else But You"
"Young Emotions"
"Travelin' Man"
"Hello Mary Lou"
"Young World"
"She Belongs To Me"
"Love Minus Zero/No Limit"
"Garden Party"
Rick Nelson:Legacy.jpg

Same name. Same city. Same record label. Completely different band. More than a decade before Get The Knack became the fastest selling album for Capitol Records since Meet The Beatles, there was another L.A. based quartet signed to the label named The Knack. Although they ended up not releasing an album, Capitol did issue four singles by The Knack between 1966 and 1967. Leave it to stalwart Steve Stanley to hunt down these masters in the EMI vaults and put together a proper "complete recordings" collection. There is a lot to like here, too. "Pretty Daisy" is a pitch-perfect piece of Power Pop, and "Softly, Softly" features an uncredited Frank Zappa on piano, along with Jimmy Carl Black and Ray Collins. C'mon, Get The Knack. You'll dig it!

The Knack (front).jpg

The Knack (back).jpg

I happen to have this one of the series:

1963-64 Jukebox Classics.jpg

1963-64 Jukebox Classics back.jpg

Judith Durham particularly incredible. The beauty of her voice brings tears: RIP

These gals were Lou Christie's backup singers and, rather unsuccessfully (I will never understand why) made their own recordings/albums. This is right up there with the best pop songs I have ever heard and I break out laughing every time they go wild. It doesn't matter how many times I hear it:

This is my favorite early Kinks song:

Due to possible copyright infringement, we have been asked to remove uploads from the "Lost in 60's" thread.

See rule #5:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/qq-rules.35318/

YouTube links are deemed OK, since they are considered "public." Many are in fact, posted by record labels and artists themselves. Just a handful of members have posted using uploads. They are in the process of being removed. nothing personal. sorry.

Thanks, in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

QL

Due to possible copyright infringement, we have been asked to remove uploads from the "Lost in 60's" thread.

See #5:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/qq-rules.35318/

You Tube links are deemed OK, since they are considered "public." Many are in fact, posted by record labels and artists themselves. Just a handful of members have posted using uploads. They are in the process of being removed. nothing personal. sorry.

Thanks, in advance, for your understanding and cooperation.

QL
I was wondering about that. I considered calling it out earlier. I figured it would be common sense to not directly upload copyrighted material, but here we are. Thanks for looking into this and establishing the rule.

Thanks to @Uncle Obscure for starting this thread and for many great memories. And thanks to all who have posted.

Now that the rules have been clarified, let's explore a few more:

Live - The Merry-Go-Round feat Emitt Rhodes
This and You're a Very Lovely Woman got lots of spins on LA radio.
Here in Chicago, I don't ever remember it airing.
Still, I bought the vinyl in '67 and later a Japan CD
Lipsynch from American Bandstand:

Bumpin' on Sunset (alt take) - Wes Montgomery

Communication (part 1 & 2) - Paul Revere & the Raiders
a deep track that should have been a single

Blame it on the Bossa Nova - Eydie Gorme

Here are some vintage posters I found while rummaging through some boxes in my garage...

Original 1967 Moby Grape Columbia Records insert Album Poster:
Moby Grape Album Poster (1967).jpg

Original Procol Harum 1967 Album insert Poster:
Procol Harum Album Poster (1967).jpg

Jimi Hendrix eye Magazine Issue #3 May 1968 Centerfold Poster:
Jimi Hendrix eye Magazine #3 (May 1968).jpg

Mick Jagger eye Magazine Issue #4 June 1968 Centerfold Poster:
Mick Jagger eye Magazine #4 (June 1968).jpg

Back