"Lucifer's Friend" not really quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Led9

I've seen this LP mentioned a few times in the archives and I have come to the conclusion that this LP is not and never was in quad although the US release says it is. I have listened to the US LP, the original German pressing from 1970 and the CD reissue and all have equally bad separation in SQ, QS or vario-matrix modes. In fact , there is no difference between either in stereo, so I would have to conclude that the supposed "quad" mix on the US LP (1973) is the same mix as the 1970 release. I doubt that a pre-quad mix from 1970 could suddenly morph into a quad mix when released in 1973 when they both sound exactly the same. Any comments?

Rick

Yes, you are right. Got both LPs, german and US issues.
Both sound the same.
If the 73 LP is quad, it should sound different, it must have been remixed.

I don't have this title, but the quad version was released on the Billingsgate label. I have another release on this label, the first album by Frumpy, and it is definately quad, but lots of it is decidedly ambient, with some swirly all around the speakers effects thrown in in places. My guess is that the LP album is the same kind of ambient mix, and was used on all releases. It could have been quad in 1970, like an EV-4 mix, or it is just a fake that was using the quad label to boost sales of an older title (like many German titles put out on the Kozmik Kouriers label).

wait a minute mate - whats it worth?
any input there - ?

i will say this for the blokes - its a smashing lp - with a fantastic gatefold cover - and - maybe can back me up - if its a fake sq recording - they sure went to a lot of trouble to put on some heavy heavy wax - double lp and each is - well - thicker than most - 180 gm vinyl?

cheers

w.a.reid:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

So this has been reissued on vinyl? German I assume? Being double vinyl, are there many bonus tracks?

Rick

So this has been reissued on vinyl? German I assume? Being double vinyl, are there many bonus tracks?

Rick

no mate - debut wax - on billingsgate - because i havent looked - i remember it being 2 lp's and gatefold - maybe just gatefold - but its an oldie and original - some issue as to whether it has good or any quad separation - cheers mates - get a sansui - and everything is quad.

w.a.reid - always smokin!:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

The original album was only a single LP, but in a gatefold. I have the Billingsgate and the original German issue on Philips. Killer album. You might want to try and pick the album they released in 1970 as "Asterix". Same lineup but the keyboardist played piano instead of Hammond organ. Still some great riffs on that one. And fortunately I do have a Sansui 7001 and yes everything is quad with that!

Rick

Back