Marantz TDR-830 (Superscope) Tape Deck

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyg2181

Note: I posted this exact thread on ak a month ago and got no response whatsoever. Maybe the QQ guys will be a better help.

Ok this very nice Tape player/recorder I just got last week seems to have sped up quite a bit. The heads are perfectly aligned, and the sound is great, but the tape speed is too quick, to the point where it's noticible. I know it's not the belt, and there's no knob or adjustment for the motor speed. So will I have to get a new motor for it, or maybe replace some little parts inside such as a resistor or something? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe one of the rubber wheel deals is worn. That would cause the capstan speed to be faster, wouldn't it? It's been so long I can't remember all of the tricks from the old days.

Note: I posted this exact thread on ak a month ago and got no response whatsoever. Maybe the QQ guys will be a better help.

Ok this very nice Tape player/recorder I just got last week seems to have sped up quite a bit. The heads are perfectly aligned, and the sound is great, but the tape speed is too quick, to the point where it's noticible. I know it's not the belt, and there's no knob or adjustment for the motor speed. So will I have to get a new motor for it, or maybe replace some little parts inside such as a resistor or something? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

'assuming' the pinch roller might be worn and have a bit of shiny look (which would prevent it from making good contact with the tape/capstan and allow the deck to move the tape faster), what i've done with such a p'roller is to take a fingernail file and very gently hold it against the roller while it is turning. just barely scuff up the surface, that's all.

this is easy to do on a r2r; with a cassette deck, it might be a tight fit or there may not be room in the cassette well for the file to fit at all.
in such a case, very fine grained sandpaper might work if you can find a way to hold it against the p'rollers surface.

i've done it on both types of decks, including two of my nakamichi cassette decks and my teac a-6300 r2r, successfully.

if said shiny, worn roller turns out to be the probem, this type of fix may only be a temporary one and you may eventually have to replace the pinch roller.
but the ones i've done it to, are still working properly after ~9 months or so.

and as always,

YMMV

edit-being a marantz, i guess it's a cassette deck, right?

Nope, 8 track deck ;)

oh. crap! :eek:

hey, i tried. :D

edit-well, actually, if you're gonna take it apart anyway, to where you have access to the roller or whatever's in there, maybe consider using the procedure i mentioned. if applicable.

at any rate, good luck!

Back