Masterclass – Surround Mixing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The comments by Chuck Ainlay about the center speaker are quite interesting.....

His Brother in Arms mix is very good....(IMHO)

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that you don't mix much or anything in the centre channel because lots of people don't have their speakers setup properly or don't have a decent centre speaker.. if that were the criteria then there'd be no surround music because lots of people don't have their speakers setup properly or just don't have surround speakers at all.. oh, hang on, that is just how it is! :howl..still rate his BIA surround mix though.. and its amazing how Hi-Rez redbook can sound :eek:

edit: Frank Filipetti = what a man! Love his mixes, love how he tells it how it is in that article. If any of you guys haven't heard his 5.1's of Ginuwine, Five For Fighting & James Taylor "Hourglass", you're in for a treat.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that you don't mix much or anything in the centre channel because lots of people don't have their speakers setup properly or don't have a decent centre speaker.. if that were the criteria then there'd be no surround music because lots of people don't have their speakers setup properly or just don't have surround speakers at all.. oh, hang on, that is just how it is! :howl..still rate his BIA surround mix though.. and its amazing how Hi-Rez redbook can sound :eek:

edit: Frank Filipetti = what a man! Love his mixes, love how he tells it how it is in that article. If any of you guys haven't heard his 5.1's of Ginuwine, Five For Fighting & James Taylor "Hourglass", you're in for a treat.

regarding the center channel comments and the other writer who says surround is going out, what about the people at AVS who have big money invested in HT? how about the people here who have money into quad and 5.1 collections? Plus, audio makers keep pumping out multi channel avr's and some are getting very inexpensive and very simple to use.
My old gram used to say that BS walks and money talks. ( she could put down a fifth of whiskey with any man), it seems to me that the clear evidence supports the fact that surround is here for a while yet.

Back